Discuss If part P were abolished in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello guys
Just like with the black cab companies being stabbed in the back with back door policies allowing Uber to side line a skilled industry I got to thinking....

Can anyone remember sparking in domestics before part P was introduced and would it be foolish to draw parallels with the back cab and the Electricians industry being contradicted by allowing back door kitchen fitters into our world?

To be honest i have always found part P very confusing as i have a lovely JIB card and a government apprenticeship yet i need to pay a private company to tell me i have done a 5 year apprenticeship correctly.

Hello guys
Just like with the black cab companies being stabbed in the back with back door policies allowing Uber to side line a skilled industry I got to thinking....

Can anyone remember sparking in domestics before part P was introduced and would it be foolish to draw parallels with the back cab and the Electricians industry being contradicted by allowing back door kitchen fitters into our world?

To be honest i have always found part P very confusing as i have a lovely JIB card and a government apprenticeship yet i need to pay a private company to tell me i have done a 5 year apprenticeship correctly.
Chris, that's why they are called scams,

The concept was a good idea, until some companies realised they could make loads of money. Hence there was NICEIC & a couple of others and now there's what eight or so?

What grips my ****, is all these 'Trust a Trader, Trust Mark' etc etc. The government has its own competent persons web site, and yet all these others are allowed to make money out of joe publics concerns over rogue traders.

Ban all these web sites (and it's not just electrics) and have one organisation policing each individual trade.

It occurred to me the other day why having a new CU had anything to do with LABC! Do they need to be notified when people have new boilers put in under a Gas safe heating engineer?
Genuine question.
I understand building control when it comes to extensions and new builds but it almost like putting in new windows in respect of building structure and care.
Almost seems to me like it's nothing to do with them. An EIC and correctly tested circuits are just as valid to the customer. How did we get into this mess?

To the older sparkies on the forum.
Was there so much grief about poor electrical work before part p was introduced?
Talking 20+ years ago or more?

It must be the only safety measure that has been brought in and had the effect of lowering the existing standards, at the same time making lots of money for various bodies, all funded and paid for by the workers
It has caused confusion with public and trade and demeaned what was once a respected trade which has now become a add on for other trades

To the older sparkies on the forum.
Was there so much grief about poor electrical work before part p was introduced?
Talking 20+ years ago or more?
I don't think there was, not as many poorly trained Electricians about in my day 30/40 years ago mind the Regs were only written on a piece of A4 ;):D:rolleyes::eek:

everything was fine till a MP screwed a cutlery rack to the wall, piercing a cable, resulting in his daughter being electrocuted.
True very True
A4??? in your day pete, they were written on stone tablets. :p
That's right remember getting my copy from some old bloke in a white sheet

so much grief about poor electrical work
While I can see modern standards are much safer (assuming you understand and execute them properly!) I must say wiring a house 30 years ago relied on doing it absolutely properly. To the extent that you absolutely knew it was safe to switch on. There were not the same kind of testers there are now. In fact I know that some people used an incandescent filament bulb with some flex to test the earth on live to earth and if it was brighter the neutral to earth you are good to go. Not me of course. As it is I feel I have the best of both worlds now as not only would I confidently say it is safe to commission I can now prove it. But there were no schemes or all the paperwork. When I used to wire a house I was so confident I guaranteed my work for 25 years no quibbles. I am still alive as you may divine, and no-one has come back to me yet. I know what you all are gonna say.......1.2.3...

Oi! That's Moses to you!

That's right remember getting my copy from some old bloke in a white sheet[/QUOTE]

No mate it wasn't Mosses, Think his followers called him Tony something, wire? no Cable that's him[/QUOTE]
No bad mouthing the messahia please ......
Erm I mean mr cable

Reply to If part P were abolished in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net