Discuss immersion heater question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me here. As I still haven't got the red book,I'm quoting from a "guide to the 17th edd" by ECA.Perhaps someone with the red book can check.They refer to regulation group 554.1 electrode water heaters.Supply to be controlled by a LINKED circuit breaker.Overcurrent protective device to be fitted in EACH conductor feeding an electrode water heater. I understand them to be refering to an
immersion heater(and possibly electric shower)
Does this mean we should be putting imm htrs on double pole mcbs?

The way i read it is basically put it on an RCD but NOT an RCBO.

The supply to the electrode shall be controlled by a linked circuit breaker arranged to disconnect the supply from all electrodes simultaneously and provided with an over current protective device in each conductor feeding an electrode.

There are 7 sections to 554.1 so I think maybe its about time you splashed out on the BRB!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The way i read it is basically put it on an RCD.
It does say OVERCURRENT would that not be mcb?

agree circuit breaker could be refering to rcd aka rccb but
it does specify overcurrent protective device in each conductor.The thermal,stat bit's in addition. So I wonder is anyone fitting DP mcbs?

Last edited:
It does say OVERCURRENT would that not be mcb?

It does seem to confuse itself really:

I quote

'shall be controlled by a linked circuit breaker' and then 'provided with an overcurrent protective device' which yes, in both cases is an MCB.

I have to say, this is the first i have heard of this.

Maybe they mean O.P.D. to mean thermal cutout?

In normal lingo it probably just means RCD protection, MCB controlling the circuit to an FCU, supplying the Immersion heater. All linked together.....lol :D

In normal lingo it probably just means RCD protection, MCB controlling the circuit to an FCU, supplying the Immersion heater. All linked together.....lol :D

You better not be putting immersions on FCU;s:D

I agree with what you say tho.

RCD does disconnect Line and neutral.

Be interesting to know what the techies say at the scheme providers.

well as its off the ring.........just kidding! :D

I think it has something to do with the fact that both neutral and earth are linked at the supply? With an MCB single pole for the overcurrent and short circuit protection, an RCD for live monitoring and a DP SW for local isolation.

Regs don't mention the neutral, just disconnection of the supply.

couple of mentions in the Regs -

554.3.3 ....double pole linked switch.....

132.14.2.....any linked switch or circuit breaker......

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note to say that an electrode water heater is not the same as an immersion heater. The immersion heater is just an insulated element submersed in the water whereas (as I understand it) the electrodes of the electrode water heater are in the water and the heat is generated by the current passing between them. Understandably a totaly different situation in isolation terms.

Just a note to say that an electrode water heater is not the same as an immersion heater. The immersion heater is just an insulated element submersed in the water whereas (as I understand it) the electrodes of the electrode water heater are in the water and the heat is generated by the current passing between them. Understandably a totaly different situation in isolation terms.

A HA barking up the wrong tree then!:eek:

Well fm, just spur off an rcd 32a protected ciruit, it aint rocket science...is it?

I guess the legislation is not working, bring it on more fires more electricution by 'testers'

Reply to immersion heater question. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock