Discuss Implications in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

ezzzekiel

not sure on this and may be a bit long but,
friend owns a shop and property is shared with another business. Local Authority required an inspection which I carried out and completed works that were needed to be done by client and Local authority came and completed works I identified as their responsability- so far so good.

Now things are turning a little sour between the two firms sharing the building as they split the electric bills (which are quite high) and arguments are over the shares in the bill.

3 phase with two meters and Db and all electrics jointly shared accross. I advised re- routing all circuits into the two Seperate Db so each customer will then have their own metering and Db and so no more arguments over who using what.

Friend thought good idea and happy with the price (very friendly rate) however the other guy wasnt having it.

He has now bought a new Db (£20 off fleabay) and has so far connected a phase to the new Db and is planning on running his own circuits himself.

Apart from breaking just about every rule and regulation I can think of my friend needs to know where he stands legally if any future problems arise as the property is classed as one.

I cant reroute anything for him without working on the other guys circuits which he wont allow

Quite apart from the electrical side if you work on the other guys circuitry and cause any sort of damage he could make allegations of criminal damage to the police and for all the time the power is off he could sue you for loss of earnings etc etc.

As per the above post now is the time for LABC and solictors if need be.

Chris

thats what i figured and so to avoid any conflict between them i told them to speak to local autority and ask them not to mention they had rang but make it look like a routine inspection, only not sure if they would agree to this

IMO splitting the db wouls solve the bill problem but should be done by electrical contracor and tested (bill for spark split ) as later down the line if problems arise the LA will no doubt say " we only .........." " we rnt responsable for XYZ" also if he is being a pillock about this then he will no doubt be a pratt about other stuff

Sharing premises isnt ideal Good luck

Reply to Implications in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net