Discuss Industrial Warehouse lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Louis

-
Reaction score
Hi, My name is Louis - I am new here and am struggling with a lighting query. Hopefully someone can help me.
I have a large workshop which is rigged out with industrial warehouse lighting. We have high ceilings (approx 35ft) and the current lights are not suited to the building.
The bulbs are short tubes, when you first turn them on they are a dim white light, after about 2-3 minutes they "warm up" and become much brighter and give off an orange light.
I am hoping to be able to change these bulbs for some energy efficient white LED replacements for a better working light, but I am finding it a bit of a minefield!
Can anyone help me with what these lights are, and whether LED replacements are available?
Many thanks, Louis

speak to your local wholesaler. he'll probably be able to get a supplier to calculate your needs.

Sounds like Corn cob LED lights might suit you in that situation. Maybe drop them down as well so they are accessible in the future while you are up there. 35Ft sounds really high, maybe better do some testing as well while you are up there.

Hi All, Im not a sparky so an electrician will be doing any work over changing the bulbs!
So, It sounds like I may be able to get LED replacements but I need to get my local wholesale electrical outlet to take a look?

I beleive the O.P thought he /she could just change the existing lamps for LED plug in / screw in.

Unfortunately not, the existing fitting has control gear specific to the lamp.

As the unit appears to have been a warehouse and is now a workshop it needs a complete redesign.
Job for a Spark with large area lighting experience.

I beleive the O.P thought he /she could just change the existing lamps for LED plug in / screw in.

Unfortunately not, the existing fitting has control gear specific to the lamp.

As the unit appears to have been a warehouse and is now a workshop it needs a complete redesign.
Job for a Spark with large area lighting experience.

Would it be possible to at least change the bulbs to give a white light rather than orange?

Most wholesalers will quote and design lighting schemes, they take a small fee and provide the goods so to speak.

Unfortunately not, the existing fitting has control gear specific to the lamp
It is entirely possible just bypass the control gear and/or remove and replace. Not long ago changed highbay sodium for corn cob LED looks a whole heap better. And I don't keep getting called out as the sodium are not working because they switched them off and didn't let them cool for 10 mins before switching on again.

LED hi bays
yeh I would rather fit those they look so much better and you can get 23,000 lumens from the top ones. Very weighty though. As for the wholesaler recommending, no. They do not know what is needed they are box movers and you should not take advice from them. A decent spark will know exactly what the choices, cost and what you need at the best budget and light output. We know how to access photometric data and can liase with the manufacturer to get a good lighting result that is also meeting lumens requirement.

yeh I would rather fit those they look so much better and you can get 23,000 lumens from the top ones. Very weighty though. As for the wholesaler recommending, no. They do not know what is needed they are box movers and you should not take advice from them. A decent spark will know exactly what the choices, cost and what you need at the best budget and light output. We know how to access photometric data and can liase with the manufacturer to get a good lighting result that is also meeting lumens requirement.
I think you need to change wholesalers then. Most will either have or have access to do professional lighting design, and a lot more besides.

Alternatively if you know which brand you want to fit you can get them to do the lighting design and get the quote & materials from your chosen wholesaler.

I think you need to change wholesalers then
Not really I can handle all that in house. When I did use one from wholesaler he was on planet zog and came up with a scheme that cost 10K not very sellable to my client so I came up with a scheme that cost 1K, kerching client bought!

Not really I can handle all that in house. When I did use one from wholesaler he was on planet zog and came up with a scheme that cost 10K not very sellable to my client so I came up with a scheme that cost 1K, kerching client bought!
So I reiterate my point, you need to change wholesaler:rolleyes: Or go direct to manufacturer for the design and get materials via one of your chosen wholesalers.

Either that or be clearer with what you want them to design for you...if you tell them you want a load of high bay LED's then it's gonna cost more than a load of LED lamps with the existing fittings altered.

It probably would be possible to swap SON lamps with metal halide if that's what they are as the gear is more often the same and they will give out a white light. No energy saving however

I have had bad experiences of corn type led lamps.
Factory roof space gets hot, often the fittings they are in are enclosed or semi enclosed.
Did it once, half the lamps had failed within 12 months.
Changed them for proper hi bay led fittings and had no call back for 3 years so far.
A bitter pill to swallow.

Expect to pay 130 to 160 for a led highbay fitting

Reply to Industrial Warehouse lighting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock