Discuss Installing groundwire system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
My 1951 CA home (none of original wiring grounded) has 7 receptacles* that have a separate ground wire extended into the subfloor and connected to the galvanized water pipes. Those pipes will soon be replaced with PEX. My plan is to drive ground rods with a new ground wire extending from the rods into the subfloor where it will connect to the wires from each receptacle. All of the ground rod installation information I see shows 2 rods separated 8-16 feet. To make it one continuous wire, the total run will be about 150 feet.

1) I presume a single, solid, bare wire is best. What gauge should I use? (I have seen Youtube recommendations for 4, 6 & 8 awg. The circuits originate at a 100 amp fuse box.)

2) Does the wire need to be solid or can it be stranded?

2) Does the wire need to be Continuous or can I branch using connectors (which would shorten the run considerably)?

3) If the wired needs to be solid and continuous, the only suitable connectors I have see are the split-bolt, but those suckers are expensive. Is there something else that will work?

4) By extending the run about 10 feet, I can have ground rods at each end of the wire; they will be about 30 feet apart ("U" shaped house). Is there any problem with that?

Thanks.

* Some receptacles are GFCI; I plan on making them all GFCI.

Reply to Installing groundwire system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock