Discuss Insulation resistance check in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rob Alldis

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi - I have a Warm-up underfloor heating system. And it's stopped working. I did a basic resistance check - and clearly there's a problem (shows just 18ohms when it should be nearer 200). Warmup have said they can send an engineer around to lift a tile after doing a thermo heat check. However, they said the best thing to do first is an insulation resistance check... Never done one before, but I see there are some meters online for around £35. I'm assuming to do this you:
  1. Turn off mains
  2. Remove warmup live, neutral, earth cables from connecting to the mains (completely isolates the heating elements/Warmup system)
  3. With the tester and isolated system, test:
    1. live/neutral at 1000volts;
    2. live/earth at a 1000 volts
  4. Reading should be around 200 megaOhms.
Is this correct - or is it even worth doing, given the floor isn't heating anyway...??

thanks for any advice
Rob

Will the £35 ones give out 1000V?
A pro tester will give 250v, 500v and 1000V
What did you use to get your 18 ohm reading?

If the engineer is coming out, he will have the required tester needed. Is the system under warranty?

what is the area of the mat, in sq.m.? 18 ohms equates to about 3kW which would be 15 - 20 sq.m.

Do you happen to have kept the booklet from when it was new and installed? There’s a table showing the target resistance for the various sizes of mat and a section where you record the resistance before cutting it and sticking it down.

Telectrix/Tony: it's only 2.5sqm really. It's the warmup loose-wire UFH - DWS400, with the expected resistance of 128 Ohms (i'm only reading under 20..) See second row in table attached
thanks all...
Rob

Insulation resistance check Capture.PNG - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1567806513[/automerge]
Littlespark: the insulation resistance tester was this one...: here
The system is only under warranty if when Warmup turn up they find a fault with the unit. However, I can't see how they'd identify whether it's the UFH wiring being at fault or was caused by the tiler (me...) nipping the cable whilst originally laying the floor. I just get a feeling they'll say it's not their product - which'll cost £300 to find the fault, lift the tile and fix it.. I will still have to make good and retile.

Telectrix/Tony: it's only 2.5sqm really. It's the warmup loose-wire UFH - DWS400, with the expected resistance of 128 Ohms (i'm only reading under 20..) See second row in table attached
thanks all...
Rob

View attachment 51935
[automerge]1567806513[/automerge]
Littlespark: the insulation resistance tester was this one...: here
The system is only under warranty if when Warmup turn up they find a fault with the unit. However, I can't see how they'd identify whether it's the UFH wiring being at fault or was caused by the tiler (me...) nipping the cable whilst originally laying the floor. I just get a feeling they'll say it's not their product - which'll cost £300 to find the fault, lift the tile and fix it.. I will still have to make good and retile.
i'd not bother with that cost . just buy a pair of woolly socks.

Hi - not doubting your measurements, but have you checked the fuse has not melted? Someone on here may be nearby and be willing to test the ufh for you, if you’d like.

Hi - not doubting your measurements, but have you checked the fuse has not melted? Someone on here may be nearby and be willing to test the ufh for you, if you’d like.
Wilko thanks. Think the only fuse is the 13amp to the unit. I’m getting mains power to it and the thermostat is working fine. So assume that’s everything. anyone who’s in the south west London area is welcome. Based in Fulham. Thanks again...

if the element is shorted giving 18 ohms, it will pull 13A an the 18ohm section will get hot.

Reply to Insulation resistance check in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock