Discuss Insulation Resistance - Forgot in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

When I was at college our tutor told us a way of doing ins res testing to ensure that downstream devices that are still plugged in are protected from the 500v voltage applied.

For the life of me I have forgot what he said.

Can a nice chap fill me in?

Thanks guys.

Test Method 2 Line and Neutral clamped together test current runs between the two conductors clamped and the E, this is used for ( Usually) periodic inspection Test method one for new installs.

J

Do it at 250 volts .................................... Link the LIVES out (L/N) and test these to earth at 250..................if you get a good result then tweak the baby back up to 500v

I hope though your talking about an EICR/CU change and not an initial verication as on an IV you should be testing between LIVES as well

Talking CU Change and where you cannot ensure that customers have unplugged everything.

Super so - Line and N connected in a choc block and buzz between the choc and earth bar?

Thanks

Talking CU Change and where you cannot ensure that customers have unplugged everything.

Super so - Line and N connected in a choc block and buzz between the choc and earth bar?

Thanks

Just do the IR 1 test (line to earth) but do it at 250V. You'll soon see if something has been left plugged in, but nothing will have been damaged and you can get the customer to go round and find what's been forgotten.

When I was at college our tutor told us a way of doing ins res testing to ensure that downstream devices that are still plugged in are protected from the 500v voltage applied.

For the life of me I have forgot what he said.

Can a nice chap fill me in?

Thanks guys.

Ye divven't want t' be sayin that if ye ivvor visit Geordieland bonny lad ..... it'll get ye the Geordie Kiss !! :yes:

Thanks

Never rely on the customer to unplug everything....do it yourself. As others have said, 250v first to check nothing left in, then 500v when all unplugged/switch off.

Looking at the OP's 4th post below the scenario is a CU change not an initial verification so there may well be 'Vulnerable' equipment in use like lights , dimmers, neons etc so method 2 would be appropriate, and yes of course you should check it is all unplugged but with test 2 he should be safe.BTW I agree 250 first.

Thanks

J

Reply to Insulation Resistance - Forgot in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock