Discuss Interesting advertising in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Isn’t that just adding a diode?
speakers are dc, right??

Speakers are fed with AC. Feed large amounts of DC to the voice coil of a speaker and it will overheat and fail.

That's why a lot of speakers are destroyed by under-powered amplifiers. The ampmidiers reach their amplitude limits and clip, which basically means it feeds DC to the speakers.

And directional speaker cable - don't get me started!!

Speakers are fed with AC. Feed large amounts of DC to the voice coil of a speaker and it will overheat and fail.

That's why a lot of speakers are destroyed by under-powered amplifiers. The ampmidiers reach their amplitude limits and clip, which basically means it feeds DC to the speakers.

And directional speaker cable - don't get me started!!
well i stand corrected.

I just remember the red and black plugs on the back of a hifi system and thought it was dc.. .a pos and a neg, but the electricity was in the form of a waveform to create soundwaves.

A waveform in reference to 0v...

so how do you hear a minus sound???

well i stand corrected.

I just remember the red and black plugs on the back of a hifi system and thought it was dc.. .a pos and a neg, but the electricity was in the form of a waveform to create soundwaves.

A waveform in reference to 0v...

Red and black needed to indicate polarity. Otherwise left and right would be in anti-phase. This results in most of the bass notes cancelling out.

If a speaker system is out of phase alignment it's usually a lot quieter than you'd expect it to be, just most people don't know what's causing it.

Even more confusing if your bass and mid/tops are out of time alignment. The bass can be shaking the building to pieces and you can feel the bass, but it can hardly be heard.

Red and black needed to indicate polarity. Otherwise left and right would be in anti-phase. This results in most of the bass notes cancelling out.

With low audio frequencies the waves are so large the sub of an in phase system will have peaks and troughs depending on where in a room you stand. I prefer to have single point subs to avoid this

I can recommend that anybody who fancies some serious head-shaking and jaw-dropping go and look at the stuff that Russ Andrews sells.

Warning - do not eat or drink as the same time as perusing his website.

I can recommend that anybody who fancies some serious head-shaking and jaw-dropping go and look at the stuff that Russ Andrews sells.

Warning - do not eat or drink as the same time as perusing his website.

Ah yes, Russ Andrews and his special mains cables and plugs.

Mind you, Russ is a mere amateur compared to Peter and May Belt. Check out PWB electronics!

Reply to Interesting advertising in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock