Discuss Intermediate Switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm using the power to switch method for three kitchen pendant lights that have 3 switches with 1 intermediate. I'm using 3 Core for the switching cables and 2 Core to the lights. The problem I'm having is that the lights aren't coming on, so I need to go through the some checking of the connections, and measuring of power at the light and source.

I'm taking the source power from a neighbouring switch that works. I'm taking the neutral from the neighbouring light too and extending that to the first light, and then the following two lights. I'm using 3core between the switches, as shown in the diagram below, and 2 core to the lights. The earth is carried through the lights using 3 way connectors. I was struggling with connecting these with the covering yellow/green into a terminal.

Lighting diagram...

1666014187161.png

Usually I find that with intermediate switches. L1 and L2 are 1side,L3 and L4 the other.otherwise as long as.you have a supply should work. Check thĂ t you have a N at the lights. Not picked up a S/L with beer bottle bottm lenses.

"Not picked up a S/L with beer bottle bottm lenses."
Happens! Thanks for the reply... think my approach will be to:
  1. check all the connections for correct cables in correct terminals, reset as required
  2. check power to the power source
    • check the incoming wires
    • check the switch plate - not sure about this (connection to check)
  3. check power to the lights

Happens! Thanks for the reply... think my approach will be to:
  1. check all the connections for correct cables in correct terminals, reset as required
  2. check power to the power source
    • check the incoming wires
    • check the switch plate - not sure about this (connection to check)
  3. check power to the lights
So the work starts...
1. first checking the cables are correctly set for three way int switching

Usually I find that with intermediate switches. L1 and L2 are 1side,L3 and L4 the other.otherwise as long as.you have a supply should work. Check thĂ t you have a N at the lights. Not picked up a S/L with beer bottle bottm lenses.
I've been working the kitchen three way light switches... I'd had an issue with nothing coming on, but on further investigation I hadn't connected the neutral from the power source which I've now done, then I noticed that the intermediate switch cables - not all were connected. So now I have the lights coming on, but there are not flickering but pulsing. I'm thinking the solution would be checking the connections at each switch, and also at the lights. Can you think of one thing its more likely to be than any other?

got everything connected the right way but I'm left with pulsing lights??

Reply to Intermediate Switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net