Discuss Interview help/information needed on an overhead linesman post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I've recently got an interview to become a linesman in northern ireland, would anyone be able to provide me with any interview tips/skills or even any extra knowledge of the trade would be helpful.
Thanks.

I would imagine before you start working as a Linesman extensive in housetraining will be required, climbing sklls, fitness levels etc, you could bone up on the sklls required on the internet I shouldn't wonder.
What voltages will you be working on, HV or LV these are topics you could ask during and after your interview, there is bound to be some information floating about, you could get hold of. I suppose the best help would be as well informed about the type of work you will be expected to carry out, research the company interviewing you, ask questions regarding H&S, what training will be required, and how long will the traing be, will it be intensive training, or on the job training, if you have any electrical experience, ask if any of it will be relevant, the list is endless realy, just be as well informed as you can, and good luck.

1. Overhead lines persons - are responsible for the construction, maintenance and refurbishment of the distribution and transmission overhead line network, including tree cutting.

I just copied and pasted that off their website but it goes into more detail

My youngest started as a linesman, he has trained a number of apprentices.

You will be part of a small team of who rely on each other not just to get the job done but for safety as you are often working live (lv).

His biggest moan has always been about poor work ethic. You work at heights, in bitterly cold weather, when it is baking hot and when it is extremely windy, sometimes for days at a time with very little sleep. Having said that, sometimes being up a pole is preferable to being on the ground on impossible terrain or in knee deep mud.

Son struggled a bit with the maths during his training which he did for the first 3 months of his apprenticeship at a training centre.

You get to drive all sorts, off road 4wd, class 2 hgv, unimog, diggers, cherry pickers. If access is difficult you may get to call in a helicopter to deliver kit.

For the right person with the correct can do attitude it can be very rewarding but it can be very hard work both mentally and physically.

I would look to get a head start on the other applicants. A phone call to your local depot asking if you could go along (prior to interview) to have a chat, see what it is all about and maybe observe some of the tasks required

Reply to Interview help/information needed on an overhead linesman post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net