Discuss IP rated cu 18th edition ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’m installing a sub main in a shed which is brand new but not insulated/ possibility of getting damp.

can I use plastic IP rated consumer unit Or does it have to be metal to be up to 18th edition standard ?

Needs to be metal, MCG make a very decent compliant IP metal 'garage' DB enclosure.
(edited)

If the shed is detached from the main domestic premises the sub consumer unit does not need to be constructed from a fire rated material and can therefore be plastic?

If the shed is detached from the main domestic premises the sub consumer unit does not need to be constructed from a fire rated material and can therefore be plastic?
I do not have the BBB to hand, can you quote the regulation? Without checking I was under the impression the regulation concerned does not make any distinction to allow for 'combustible' DB's to be used in outbuildings of residential properties. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

I do not have the BBB to hand, can you quote the regulation? Without checking I was under the impression the regulation concerned does not make any distinction to allow for 'combustible' DB's to be used in outbuildings of residential properties. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

This is the reg:

421 .1.201
Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall
(i) have their enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material, or
(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.
NOTE:
Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

And this is from OSG:

Where a consumer unit assembly is installed in domestic (household) premises,
domestic garages and outbuildings, one of the following applies:
..,. the enclosure is to be manufactured from non-combustible material; or
..,. the consumer unit is enclosed in a cabinet constructed from non-combustible
material.

That's cleared that up, right? No. It then goes on to say...

Where the consumer unit is to be located in an external non-habitable building, e.g. a
garage or shed, which is not in close proximity to a dwelling, consideration could still be
given to installing a consumer unit of non-ferrous construction. The term "not in close
proximity" is always a moot point and the decision to install a non-ferrous enclosure
must be supported by a documented risk assessment, which must be appended to the
Electrical Installation Certificate.

'421.1.201 Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall:

(ii) be enclosed in a cabinet or enclosure constructed of non-combustible material and complying with Regulation 132.12.

NOTE 1: Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

NOTE 2: The implementation date for this regulation is the 1st January 2016, but does not preclude compliance with the regulation prior to that date.'

The "domestic (household) premises" does not include a detached outbuilding.
Hence the authors need to highlight the word 'household' in brackets.
Unless it is assessed that a fire starting in the outbuilding could possibly spread to the main 'household' then it is commonly understood that an insulated consumer unit is acceptable within the outbuilding.

Judging by the OPs admission of the possibility of the presence of moisture in this outbuilding, a insulated consumer unit would be much more appropraite than a steel consumer unit (regardless of its IP rating) anyway.
[automerge]1592483738[/automerge]
This is the reg:

421 .1.201
Within domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear assemblies shall comply with BS EN 61439-3 and shall
NOTE:
Ferrous metal, e.g. steel, is deemed to be an example of a non-combustible material.

And this is from OSG:

Where a consumer unit assembly is installed in domestic (household) premises,
domestic garages and outbuildings, one of the following applies:
..,. the enclosure is to be manufactured from non-combustible material; or
..,. the consumer unit is enclosed in a cabinet constructed from non-combustible
material.

That's cleared that up, right? No. It then goes on to say...

Where the consumer unit is to be located in an external non-habitable building, e.g. a
garage or shed, which is not in close proximity to a dwelling, consideration could still be
given to installing a consumer unit of non-ferrous construction. The term "not in close
proximity" is always a moot point and the decision to install a non-ferrous enclosure
must be supported by a documented risk assessment, which must be appended to the
Electrical Installation Certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to be metal, MCG make a very decent compliant IP metal 'garage' DB enclosure.
(edited)

When you find your BBB can you quote the reg that says a domestic CU must or should be metal. E.G. metal doesn't mean must be or should be and is a mere example of a non combustible material

When you find your BBB can you quote the reg that says a domestic CU must or should be metal. E.G. metal doesn't mean must be or should be and is a mere example of a non combustible material
I wont look for or find the reg because as you well know it doesn't exist, I used the term metal when I should have used non combustible, so thankyou for correcting that.
And there is no need for red crosses, especially if you just red cross without any explanation, try posting a reason for disagreeing rather than a red cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input chaps. I found this.
Consumer units in outbuildings or on the outside of a building
Regulation 421.1.201 uses the term ‘premises’. The question could therefore arise: do the requirements of the regulation apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly within an outbuilding such as a garages or shed, or mounted on the outside or a building?

Some dictionary definitions of ‘premises’ are ‘a house or building, together with its land and outbuildings’ and ‘the land and buildings owned by someone’.

However, Regulation 421.1.201 was principally introduced to cover the interior of a household building and any garage or other outbuildings integral, attached, or in close proximity to that building.

Doubt could exist about whether or not a particular outbuilding could reasonably be considered to be in ‘close proximity’ to the household building. A way of resolving this might be to make a judgement of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure of a consumer unit or similar switchgear in the outbuilding might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building or in any outbuilding integral or attached to it. Relevant factors to consider about such an outbuilding might include whether or not that building or its expected contents are highly combustible.

Regulation 421.1.201 is not intended to apply to a consumer unit or similar switchgear assembly that is not within a building, such as a consumer unit mounted outdoors on the outside of a building.

thanks PC1966, think I’ll just go with that one you recommend.

I’m installing a sub main in a shed which is brand new but not insulated/ possibility of getting damp.

can I use plastic IP rated consumer unit Or does it have to be metal to be up to 18th edition standard ?
I tend to steer well away from BG, but having used 2 of these I was impressed by them and would recommend them.

This is an example where knowledge of the regs alone will not give a definitive answer. You need experience and common sense also.

There is a need to consider 421.1.201, non-combustible etc with 512.2.1, design appropriate to situation and 522.3.1, taking condensation into account.

I will always want to install non-corrosive equipment and accessories in non-insulated garages and sheds, we’ve all seen the damage caused by a damp environment on metal fluorescent fittings, sockets and consumer units. But you need to design each installation on its merits.

I have had a clear up of this thread mainly the insulting posts and those quoting them and any relevant post reflecting the removed comments, I have also removed the odd inflammatory word that are only going to bait a negative reaction.

We have a flagging system that members are able to use on any post, the disagree symbol is there to be used if one does not agree with the post or part of it, where there is ambiguity to what is been disagreed with we do encourage members to follow up with a post to add context to their choice for clarity, if a member has been flagged with a disagree and no follow up post has been added and they are confused then request one by all means but in a polite manner as expected when posting within the forum. It is the case on some occasions that the way the post is worded would mean a disagree tag would be very clear in what it was directed at, if this is the situation then obviously no follow up post is needed.

We ask member to leave it to staff to decide when members are not playing within the boundaries of respectful posting to other members, when members decide to take it on themselves to give opinions on other members manner then this only inflates the situation and we strongly advise you do not do so as this just makes staffing more difficult and makes it harder to deal with the issue, it also takes the thread off course which detracts from why the thread was started.

-We ask all members to be polite and respectful at all times
-We understand that naturally members will disagree on some matters and where ambiguity or lack of clarity exist with the disagreement that this is cleared up in a follow up post in the instance of using the symbols to disagree, we obviously do not expect a follow up post where due to the nature of the post it is clear what the disagree symbol reflects.

As mentioned we are not going to force members to follow up any disagree tag and in such cases a polite post by those receiving the tag to ask the member is recommended.
Finally anyone simply abusing this 'disagree' tag will be dealt with by staff and we ask members to report any such incidents, we have banned members in the past for targeted attacks at posters so use the tag wisely and please reflect on whether it requires explanation when using it as this benefits the forum as a whole as members get collectively more informed.

Reply to IP rated cu 18th edition ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net