Discuss Irish PIRs a few queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sounds to me like chances of that are slim to none

Anyway cheers ,.do you happen to have a quick description for certs 1, 2, 3 is it, the difference

Also restricted and controlled works makes my head hurt

Is restricted anything that's not minor works ?

Im getting lost on controlled works cheers again
Cert No. 1 is for works requiring DSO (ESB) involvement <50kVA. Cert No. 2 >= 50kVA. Cert No. 3 no DSO involvement.

Sounds to me like chances of that are slim to none

Anyway cheers ,.do you happen to have a quick description for certs 1, 2, 3 is it, the difference

Im getting lost on controlled works cheers again
I hope the following is of practical help.

1)I think you are on the wrong forum here. Very few Irish sparks from ROI on this site. Why not go local? British sparks would not be familiar with the concept of "controlled", "restricted works" etc

2) Your questions suggest you are a little unfamiliar with domestic installation work. Have you done a QC course recently?

3) You will find detailed answers to all the above questions on the Safe Electric website. Go in to "Contractors section" and click on "Technical Information". Its all there.

4) If there is anything there you want more info on, feel free to DM me

Like the lady who asked the bus driver

"How long will the next bus be" ?

"The same length as this one"😃
busbroke down. driver has his head in the engine bay. female passenger says " Woluld you like a screwdriver?"
driver replies:

"Of course I would, but let me fix the engine first".

I'm not a rec

I've got the verification and certification
You can,t carry out PIR,s if you are not a rec. But if you are a qualified spark you can register to become a rec. If you have done a "verification and certification" course then you have all the basic,s.
Have just checked if you need to log in to access the contractors section in Safe Electric. It's open to the public. They have a good section in there on PIR, s.

You can,t carry out PIR,s if you are not a rec. But if you are a qualified spark you can register to become a rec. If you have done a "verification and certification" course then you have all the basic,s.
Have just checked if you need to log in to access the contractors section in Safe Electric. It's open to the public. They have a good section in there on PIR, s.
The REC gets you the QC number once u have the course
You dont have to be a rec to do the pir

Personally I'd disconnect the neutral rather than main protective conductor to ensure all Earth paths are included.
In ROI is there not DP switching of the main supply?

Usually here in UK simply isolating it at main CU switch allows global IR just by taking L & N from a final circuit and IR'ing to CPC

In the UK regs IR testing should be done with the CPC connected to the MET so any faults from cable to true Earth (e.g. nail grazing just one live conductor) are included, and not just internal L/N ro CPC faults.

That global IR in the UK

Is it L+N to E only are u also doing L to N with equipment out of circuit

You wouldn't be doing L N on a pir for larger installations aghh I'll have to find out

This is my understanding, but some other folks on here do EICR testing professionally so can say more:

Typically the global IR is L+N to E and is a useful first check if anything is really not good.

If you see much higher than Mohm then you know probably all is OK, but if low then you need to do more diagnostics to work out what it is that has pulled the global value down (e.g. lots of ropey cable or very dusty accessories in use that are individually OK but accumulate leackage to an undesirable level globally, or all good bar one damaged circuit, etc)

Doing per-circuit L+N to E is the minimum and (as for global one) safe at 500V as any electronics connected to the main supply has to be safe to at least that level of insulation. For example, typically class-Y capacitors for L-E filters are rated to survive surges to 5kV.

Doing L-N IR testing per-circuit is desirable, but not always practical, on existing installations if you have loads that cannot be easily removed (or you create more risk of faults, etc, by testing that it would fail to reveal if you did not test). Here it is always best to first check at 250V just in case there is low power electronics (USB chargers, LED lights, dimmers that use N, etc) unless you can be very sure everything has been disconnected.

For a new circuit before vulnerable accessories are attached you should test L-N at 500V though.

Agree. They could explain that a little better. Easiest way to remember it is that..

1) Restricted works refers to DOMESTIC only.
2) Controlled works refers to everything else. (com., Industrial)
Correct. Easiest way to remember it is..

1) Restricted work always involves the D.B.
2) Minor works never involves the D. B.

Reply to Irish PIRs a few queries in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock