Discuss Is it always stressful! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm afraid that I am from a generation where you where told to get on with it, the now generation where not tolerated and where side lined if they could not keep up, not that this was the right thing to do, but it does seem that we now have a disproportionate number of people who can't cope being supported by those that can.

I'm afraid that I am from a generation where you where told to get on with it, the now generation where not tolerated and where side lined if they could not keep up, not that this was the right thing to do, but it does seem that we now have a disproportionate number of people who can't cope being supported by those that can.

I think you have a fair point there Mike. I think it has been realised that things weren't being dealt with properly in the past, but we have probably 'over corrected' a bit.

What is stressful to one could well be a pleasure to another. We all have our ups and downs and we all go through stressful events, scenarios etc... Stress can manifest in many ways and the root cause can be any number of things.

We are all different! Its unfair to judge a person by what makes them stressed.

My advice is to take a step back and consider what you believe is the root cause. It may not always be obvious and it may be useful at times to seek professional help if the the anxiety and stress is taking over your life and making you ill.

But from your post I'm assuming you are talking generally about being a self-employed electrician and how it can be stressful on the job? The truth is any job that warrants some level of responsibility will be inherent of stress. When the job you do can effect other people directly, especially their health and safety then all of a sudden you are under a certain amount of pressure.

Take the advice given so far, regarding planning and pacing yourself, try and stick to a system that allows you to complete the tasks with a little time to spare. There will always be times when things go awry, but if you try and plan sensibly, then these should only be occasional.

The old cliché, "it comes with experience" though possibly annoying to the younger generation, or if you are inpatient by nature, though frustrating, is very true!

The beauty of these forums is that you can come and seek some advice, you can sound off with people who are often in, and can empathise, with your situation. So if you get stuck and feel isolated, frustrated or can't suss a problem out then please share it with us. I'm sure with the vast experience and knowledge of the good folk on this forum somebody will always be able to advise you.

Stress and mental illness are linked but not exclusively so. It seems that we are seeing many more cases of mental health problems, especially in younger people, but this may be due to earlier recognition rather than an actual increase in cases. There is less of a stigma attached to mental illness these days, which allows those affected to come forward for help.
Stress which is work-related, or family related, but not causing what would manifest as a mental health problem, is still very concerning and if not relieved can lead to further problems. Some people can work all the hours going, handle the paperwork til midnight and just keep going. Some cannot do this. That doesn't make one superior to the other. Some folks stress out about their job and alleviate this by working more...that used to work for me. Some just strictly limit their workload, accepting a lower income but a higher quality of life. I am not an expert, but there are experts out there who can help you manage stress...it just takes an effort for many to accept they need help, and then seek it.

when the RAF kindly taught me the basics of flying an aircraft without breaking it, i always thought stress was what could happen in a tight turn and you'd see the wings fluttering down away from you. ?

The old adage?
A good landing is one you walk away from.
A great landing is one you can use the aircraft again.
spot on. i did once manage to damage an open cockpit glider. landing them was advisable as no parachutes.

was a Sedberg

Like a jobbing spark. Going around houses, shops etc doing smaller sized jobs. Part that I find stressful is fault finding etc, and trying to do the job neat tidy etc but also trying to be quick. Feel like I’m chasing my tail a lot of the time
Sounds similar to my job.

A few things I stumbled on,

1, Fault finding takes as long as it takes, sometimes you get lucky sometimes not. Plan your approach, be methodical and rule one thing out before moving on.

2, Plan. Take time to work out what your going to do, how your going to do it and what pit falls you may hit. Setting of drilling and running in only to find your route obstructed leaves you either starting over or leaving a rough looking job. Half an hours thought over a coffee will save time.

3, Don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone has to learn.

4, Don't think your doing a customer favours by saving them money. If something looks iffy replace it, within reason, all that happens is it fails a week later and its your fault.

5, Your boss gets what they pays for, if they could have got better for what they pay, they would have.

6, Dont believe how good people tell you they are until you see it with your own eyes, there are a lot of sparks who think they are way better that they are. In other words dont compare yourself to others BS.

7, Don't beat yourself up, there's plenty of others that are will do it for free.

8, Enjoy your successes and remember them.

Over the years or doing small and medium jobs iv learnt to allow more time than I realistically think it will take. This allows me to take my time and do a better job. For example, if I'm replacing an outside light then i may think it will take around 1 hour to replace fitting, test and cert. However, I now allow an extra hour for all the bits you dont consider, setting up, sealant (if required), potential faults with existing wiring etc....there are so many potentials. Best to over quote the hours and feel less stressed

Sorry I don't know what a "journey man spark" is, but what are you finding stressful?
I must admit until this thread started I thought the term was well known in many building trades that employed apprentices
The term dates back to medieval times when they had trade guilds and the journeyman period started after apprenticeship completion until you were accepted as a master craftsman
As mentioned earlier in the thread the JIB grading of electrician and approved electrician would be a similar equivalent

With regard to stress and mental health it is difficult if not impossible for any medical practitioner to properly assess what is going on in a persons head let alone treat it

About 14 or 15 years ago I was pushed to the edge and one thing I can say is it's not a nice place be, it is all too easy for these people to say you need to talk but that is not as easy as it sounds when you are on a physical and emotional roller coaster. I had to see a psychiatrist at one point who asked when I thought of committing suicide had I written a note he stated the fact I hadn't meant I wasn't going to do it, since then a few people I knew have committed suicide and a few people I know have tried and none of them have left or thought about writing a note so he was wrong on that one.
There are odd times now when I start to have a relapse but I recognise the signs and pull myself back well before I get to that dark place as it is somewhere I don't want to revisit.
If you can talk about it that is good, the problem with some situations is talking about it means you admitting failure and that can make it difficult and stops people talking about it
At the time I didn't talk about it, fortunately one of my mates was savvy enough to realise I had a problem and pulled me round, even now talking about it does mess with my mind a little a bit but it is good to share experiences if it helps others avoid hitting that wall, a song that often springs to mind that just about sums it up when you are really down is

I must admit until this thread started I thought the term was well known in many building trades that employed apprentices
The term dates back to medieval times when they had trade guilds and the journeyman period started after apprenticeship completion until you were accepted as a master craftsman
Now that is insulting to suggest I would remember back that far. ??

I think you have a fair point there Mike. I think it has been realised that things weren't being dealt with properly in the past, but we have probably 'over corrected' a bit.
I don't think you can really compare two different generations and say it's more "stresfull" now or people deal with things better or worse now etc. Theres a tonne of other social/economic/ technological/educational etc etc differences that all come in to play. The way we are brought up, what, and how we are ( intentionally or otherwise) taught to think about ourselves, others and life in general all have an effect on how people percive themselves in the world and how they deal with difficulties in any form.

Sounds similar to my job.

A few things I stumbled on,

1, Fault finding takes as long as it takes, sometimes you get lucky sometimes not. Plan your approach, be methodical and rule one thing out before moving on.

2, Plan. Take time to work out what your going to do, how your going to do it and what pit falls you may hit. Setting of drilling and running in only to find your route obstructed leaves you either starting over or leaving a rough looking job. Half an hours thought over a coffee will save time.

3, Don't be afraid to ask for help, everyone has to learn.

4, Don't think your doing a customer favours by saving them money. If something looks iffy replace it, within reason, all that happens is it fails a week later and its your fault.

5, Your boss gets what they pays for, if they could have got better for what they pay, they would have.

6, Dont believe how good people tell you they are until you see it with your own eyes, there are a lot of sparks who think they are way better that they are. In other words dont compare yourself to others BS.

7, Don't beat yourself up, there's plenty of others that are will do it for free.

8, Enjoy your successes and remember them.
Great advice, thanks!

Reply to Is it always stressful! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock