Discuss Is this electrician professional? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We are a factory selling lamps, and a customer bought lamps from us.

She said she contacted their top electrician for the installation.

After the installation is complete, I received an email from the customer saying that our quality is poor and we need to return the product.
The bracket of the light fixture in the picture has been bent. I once asked the customer by email, and the customer said that the package was not damaged in any way.

Here is the image link:IMG_2011.jpg - https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/83ca66761367b94556aefa0a59429b3c0c7842a3be88e6e2bbaa156f0ef870a4

I have questions. First, if the electrician finds that the bracket has been bent before installation, can he choose to confirm with the customer before installing?
Second, the bracket is metal, and it can be adjusted to a normal angle with a little force. Can't the top electrician adjust the bracket when he finds this problem?

Third, is this electrician really as professional as the customer says?

After receiving the customer's email, we have made it clear that we can reissue the parts for the customer for free, but the customer still chooses to refund.

We processed the refund for her, but the light has already been installed, and we have been unable to carry out secondary sales, which caused us Lost $4500.

I need some opinions from everyone.

Is that it? That the crystal shaped part isn’t perfectly vertical?

If I were in your shoes, they wouldn’t be getting a refund… not without receiving the item back in full.
I would offer to visit the home to repair….

I wouldn’t question the competency of the electrician. Not something he would likely notice straight out the box. He might have been hesitant to force it straight afterwards in case he broke it.

Is that it? That the crystal shaped part isn’t perfectly vertical?

If I were in your shoes, they wouldn’t be getting a refund… not without receiving the item back in full.
I would offer to visit the home to repair….

I wouldn’t question the competency of the electrician. Not something he would likely notice straight out the box. He might have been hesitant to force it straight afterwards in case he broke it.
There is no way, I said that I can help the customer to deal with it, but she firmly believes that this is a product quality problem, and I can only refund her.
Would the electrician who installed the light fixture make adjustments for this kind of problem? Because in my opinion, this problem is relatively simple, and it only needs a little effort to solve it.
There is another picture, which shows that the bracket problem is more obvious. I am very puzzled by this friend's operation.

Attachments

• Is this electrician professional? IMG_2006 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_2006.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 41
Before issuing any refund the light fitting must be returned to you for inspection. Once in receipt of the fitting then you issue any refund+ their postage to send it back. How that light fitting can cost $4500 is beyond me.
After the installation, we can't re-sell the lamps to the customers, and there is always some minor wear and tear during the installation.
Customers can complain directly to the credit card company, we receive complaints is very troublesome, so the only way to refund before the customer complaints.
So we are trying to figure out if the electrician who is generally responsible for the installation of the luminaire will make these adjustments, which I think is a very simple thing.

Impossible to say when or how it got bent, but as above there should be a returns process to follow. Then you can decide whether to fix the issue or refund.

That price - is that really $4500 or has an extra zero slipped in?

4500??? Surely not! If they want a refund and the item is returned then theres not much you can do. It’s impossible to say whether the electrician did that or not but at that eye watering price I would not attempt to fix it on site myself, a representative from the supplier would be requested so they are liable.

4500??? Surely not! If they want a refund and the item is returned then theres not much you can do. It’s impossible to say whether the electrician did that or not but at that eye watering price I would not attempt to fix it on site myself, a representative from the supplier would be requested so they are liable.
I understand what you are saying.
We are just a factory that produces and sells lamps, not a local distributor.
Is there such a supplier who can provide engineers all over the country to install luminaires for customers, generally our customers install luminaires for $300-$2000.

There is no hard and fast rule that i can think of. I have had the pleasure (not) of installing light fittings of that nature and as an electrician, there is no way i would want to alter anything and then get automatically lumbered with the liability. Some light fittings , even at that price, require on-site assembly, your appears to be out of the box. If i had come across that situation and the light had been hung, i would have asked the client to call you for advice on how to proceed before removing it. However it does appear, there is a larger issue rather than just the "adjustment factor" - As you are a manufacturer, you could have supplied a straight bracket and the electrician could have fitted it. the electrician could have attempted an adjustment, although this is low down the list of likely happenings.
the client demanding a refund does indicate some dissatisfaction with the light as a whole

Thank you for your answers, I understand the electrician's question.
Is there any such supplier who can provide engineers to install the luminaire for our customers all over the country, usually the cost of installing the luminaire for our customers is $300-$2000.

Thank you for your answers, I understand the electrician's question.
Is there any such supplier who can provide engineers to install the luminaire for our customers all over the country, usually the cost of installing the luminaire for our customers is $300-$2000.

Any electrican (or decent DIYer) should be able to install a domestic light fitting. If not then there is something wrong with the design.

To be honest, if I'd paid over $4000 for a light fitting then I would expect it to be fitted as part of the price!!

My reading of the $4500 is that was the figure lost in secondary sales so i assume the one fitting isn't that much but because the customer had a problem they didn't buy any more which lost the seller that amount in onward sales.

Any electrican (or decent DIYer) should be able to install a domestic light fitting. If not then there is something wrong with the design.

To be honest, if I'd paid over $4000 for a light fitting then I would expect it to be fitted as part of the price!!

I see from the previous answers that now our problem is that some of the fixtures are more expensive, so even if it is a simple problem, the electrician will not take the risk to deal with it.
If we have the right supplier, we can have our customers contact a partner to install it, and we can communicate and handle this kind of problem better when we encounter it.

My reading of the $4500 is that was the figure lost in secondary sales so i assume the one fitting isn't that much but because the customer had a problem they didn't buy any more which lost the seller that amount in onward sales.
It's the price of this light that we equate to a direct loss of this light.
But I can understand the electrician's thinking now.

I think you are in the US, this site is predominantly UK, as that's where it was born.... so not great for US wide electricians for a particular light. In the UK, we have a slightly different model. The electrician is encouranged to purchase the light, usually at a discount of 20-30% off retail. The electrician then automatically accepts liability and is naturally encouraged to "fix" easy issues on-site. If an end user buys the light, the electrician is then in a stuck place, if the light does not work when fitted, this can lead to the electrician not being paid or at least an argument with the end client over who is responsible. Your situation is a little different as the light would have been obviously "faulty" before being fitted, so why the electrician still fitted it is a mystery as the sensible position of the electrician would be not to fit the light. Bear in mind an electrician will charge just hundreds of dollars to fit, yet the light costs 000's of dollars, so that is where your issue really lies.

We are a factory selling lamps, and a customer bought lamps from us.

She said she contacted their top electrician for the installation.

After the installation is complete, I received an email from the customer saying that our quality is poor and we need to return the product.
The bracket of the light fixture in the picture has been bent. I once asked the customer by email, and the customer said that the package was not damaged in any way.

Here is the image link:IMG_2011.jpg - https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/external/83ca66761367b94556aefa0a59429b3c0c7842a3be88e6e2bbaa156f0ef870a4

I have questions. First, if the electrician finds that the bracket has been bent before installation, can he choose to confirm with the customer before installing?
Second, the bracket is metal, and it can be adjusted to a normal angle with a little force. Can't the top electrician adjust the bracket when he finds this problem?

Third, is this electrician really as professional as the customer says?

After receiving the customer's email, we have made it clear that we can reissue the parts for the customer for free, but the customer still chooses to refund.

We processed the refund for her, but the light has already been installed, and we have been unable to carry out secondary sales, which caused us Lost $4500.

I need some opinions from everyone.
Firstly....an electrician is just that.They are not interior designers .So firstly , he should have asked the customer to inspect the item.It is not for the electrician to determine anything unless its very obviously damaged or dangerous. In the Uk it would be a joke, as the customer if they ordered online can just send it back for a full refund . Also was it unpacked and checked by the client ?? As for the cost , its peanuts in the "Big world" of expensive things . Imagine a bespoke kitchen where each and every single door hinge cost ÂŁ1300 plus VAT ! etc etc . Some designer lights are tens of thousands . There is so much money out there ready to buy high end stuff its madness !

Reply to Is this electrician professional? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock