Discuss Its a sad sad day , my 18v impact died in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
So after around 10 years my Hitachi 18v impact died doing a consumer unit change this week :(

Can anyone recommend a decent mid-range £100-120 impact driver for light / general use ?

Not really mid-priced as such, but I have been impressed by my Milwaukee M18FID2 hex impact driver (about £90 without battery).

I rarely need the max power, almost always have it on minimum, but good for drilling, 20mm hole saw, and generally driving larger screws and medium size bolts. Small screws, etc, just get trashed as no fine control, but that is true of practically all power tools.

There is a quieter 'hydraulic' version that might have been better, but more expensive and not (I think) on sale when I got mine originally.

I think this is the kit I got:

Hardly ever used the normal drill, but it is powerful and with care (and glove to save my knuckles) it was used to drill 100m holes in the BT/Openreach style of Quadbox (walls about 10mm plastic,double skin).

Wait wait…. You said you were doing a CU… with an impact?!?!

Not for the terminals, I hope.
No , but I once did try using my impact when doing a temp board ( I have seen dozens of youtuber sparks do boards with their impacts ) but I just couldn't get the feel for it and I mashed up about 3 terminals as the impact as was just to powerful.

I even borrowed my mates 12v dewalt impact as he uses one for his board changes but I still can't get the right feel when to stop hammering down on the terminals

I use a normal screwdriver , as this is how I was taught and just feels right to me

I have a DeWalt impact driver, not sure of the model number, but it has 3 power settings. The 1st, low power, is akin to a Bosch-go in that it drives slowly without any noticeable impact, and stops when it senses it needs more torque. The 2nd level does most driving tasks, the 3rd level drives almost anything you are likely to meet, including 200mm screws into timber and Multi-montis into concrete.
However, if you are on a makita platform and have numerous batteries, you might not want to make the change.

What other power tools do you have? The sensible option might be to look at what is available for the same battery platform as other tools. Most big names offer a range of impact drivers from light to fairly heavy duty.

I use probably the same one as pirate.

DC887.

I usually use the 2Ah batteries with it purely for weight.

TBH if it's only for light occasional use I'd just get something that fits batteries you already have.

i just get MIL to look at the CU. the terminals then self tighten to the correct torque. Its a sad sad day , my 18v impact died 1652171854983 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Its a sad sad day , my 18v impact died in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock