Discuss Its the little things that annoy !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

For example,
Ever noticed how on a double pole 45A switch your replacing for a cooker (for example)
They always manage to put the Load terminals at the top. And the Supply terminals at the bottom.
Surely after all these years manufacturers would have considered that 9 times out of 10 the supply is likely to be coming down to the switch, with the load fed from the bottom.
I bet I'm not the only one to have a moan about this one. :yes:

yep, i know. same with double sockets. L and N on opposite sides and one tail too short

Shower Pull Cords In General are the devils work, 9/10 call out this year has been due to loose terminals in shower pull cords burning them out and melting cables.

Yep agree, and very very very few brands have good old double terminal screws on them. A shower is only pulling, what, maybe 35A, the single screw won't work loose now will it! Makes you wonder what rigourous testing these things go through!

For me its the cheap crappy FCUs that have terminal screws that have to be accessed from every side of the accessory. Ugh !

I do like Hager and MK for this very reason. Doing a rewire for a mate at the mo and he has bought accessories that are a step below Marbo! Not looking forward to second fix.

I do like Hager and MK for this very reason. Doing a rewire for a mate at the mo and he has bought accessories that are a step below Marbo! Not looking forward to second fix.

I use Hager sollysta too for this very reason, all upward facing screws. So much easier for second fixing and testing.
I have recently used the new Schneider Lisse which are a good budget option too.

And as for the single SOFT clamp screws on the ALL plastic 100 amp c/u main switches, mounted onto plastic din rails you know !! The ones that can take up to 35 mm tails (Yea right)
Oh sorry, I forgot, its all going to be encased in steel soon, so no need to worry.

Ok this is another CU rant!

The manufacturers must be aware that we have to put at least one 16mm main earth into the earth bar (majority of the time). Why cant they make an MET that can take a 16mm easily? All they have to do is change the casting on the mold and increase a hole!

And as for the single SOFT clamp screws on the ALL plastic 100 amp c/u main switches, mounted onto plastic din rails you know !! The ones that can take up to 35 mm tails (Yea right)
Oh sorry, I forgot, its all going to be encased in steel soon, so no need to worry.

not strictly true, I bought a plastic amendment 3 CU made from "self extinguishing" material just yesterday

not strictly true, I bought a plastic amendment 3 CU made from "self extinguishing" material just yesterday

We have been buying self extinguishing plastic consumer units for years !! It says so on the box of most, even Denmans Basec CU's
The only bit they seem to be adding if your correct is the amendment 3 bit
And if the manufacturers have the gall to quote as amendment 3 then amendment 3 it is.
After all we are all told to go by what the manufacturers state, are we not !! ?

Reply to Its the little things that annoy !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net