Discuss JCC tricked my apprentice! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jim90

-
Reaction score
As the subject suggests JCC threw in a curveball in a 5ft LED light that completely stumped my apprentice.

The back story goes like this.
We are on a small commercial job, cushy number installing 40 LED IP rated emergency and non emergency fittings.
I gave the task of telling my third year apprentice to crack on with the lift control room which had four lights fed by clix. Nice and easy. That's what I thought anyway.

0800- showed him what to do
1300 - at lunch and took the p*ss about why he hasn't done those lights yet.
1500 - comes up to me and says he can't do this anymore as he has a fault and 'checked everything' took the p*ss again.

He says to me the light keeps blowing a BS88 type fuse. To which I needed to hit the M25 before it gets stupidly busy and help him out. He is more than capable though!
So after using all the spare BS88 10A fuses he was going to 'try a 20A' to which I laughed at and said he's absolutely mad.
The light was fine before he put his up I kept saying so it has to be something to do with that. Asked him to pack up and I'll take a look. Saw the fault in a minute or so (attached) Took the p*ss again. And told him to put brown sleeving on the perm.
Took the p*ss out of him the whole way home.
That was a 3rd year!! He is actually a good lad! God knows what they teach him at college.

JCC tricked my apprentice! ima - EletriciansForums.net

Right hand side.
Sorry the picture isn't the best nor my description
He obviously connected as per the instruction on the fitting. Not knowing that the earth terminal is screwed to the metal base

So if he wires to the label or the internal wiring, it's going to short.
What's that between the terminals on the connector labelled as switched live?

I don't understand the wiring on both sides look like the final connection and not the fittings wiring.

A bit tired here, so sorry if I've missed it, but isn't the brown in the earth connector, the 3rd one down on their diagram?

Is the one marked as earth actually the earth as it doesn't appear to connect to earth but the terminal the cpc is connected to does?

Is the one marked as earth actually the earth as it doesn't appear to connect to earth but the terminal the cpc is connected to does?
It looks like it earths the fitting with a screw through the connector block onto the metal plate in the fitting?

It looks like it earths the fitting with a screw through the connector block onto the metal plate in the fitting?
Looks like L into 3rd terminal makes fitting live but something else provided a path to ground before anyone touched it.

That's just made my morning!!
Some problems, however rudimentary, need a new set of eyes, and it's part of the learning process for your 3rd yr apprentice to be able to get out of their own way and see just where they're being a dumbass. You'll be able to remind them of this for years....

So you nor the training center have taught your apprentice the most basic of testing before powering up a circuit?

Reply to JCC tricked my apprentice! in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock