Discuss Joining a Union in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stewart Finneran

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what people's thoughts are of joining a Union whilst undergoing a first year Apprenticeship? I'm a mature student (37) and have secured an apprenticeship through JTL. They mentioned about joining a Union, and I was wondering if you think it's worth joining whilst undergoing an apprenticeship, and if so any recommendations on which one? Unite, EWB etc... I've not been part of a Union before as I'm ex military, so I've never had the need to join one. Any constructive comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi All,

Just wondering what people's thoughts are of joining a Union whilst undergoing a first year Apprenticeship? I'm a mature student (37) and have secured an apprenticeship through JTL. They mentioned about joining a Union, and I was wondering if you think it's worth joining whilst undergoing an apprenticeship, and if so any recommendations on which one? Unite, EWB etc... I've not been part of a Union before as I'm ex military, so I've never had the need to join one. Any constructive comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks
As an ex TU Rep I would strongly advise a yes, which company are you serving your Apprenticeship with?

I would. See it as a voice for the lads. We have a lot of ex forces who work for our firm who don’t agree or understand it.

Hi All,

There should be some sort of TU representation at your place of work, if it's a multi trade workforce, find out from your colleagues which is the largest membership and apply to join, you don't have to become involved in Union/Management policies, just the greater the membership the more weight for any negotiations, I was a member of "PROSPECT" the union for professionals, if that's any help to you.

Hi All,

You should join.

Unite will be the only one open to you.

Personal opinion here they're useless. I got wrongfully dismissed about a month before my apprenticeship ended and the same week that 2 new apprentices started and the union manager for the area knew the company director and took his side straight away and that's as far as their support went.

Personal opinion here they're useless. I got wrongfully dismissed about a month before my apprenticeship ended and the same week that 2 new apprentices started and the union manager for the area knew the company director and took his side straight away and that's as far as their support went.

That doesn't mean that all unions are useless, just that the particular person is not doing their job properly.

What was the reason given to you for dismissal, was it verbal or in writing ??? What Union was it?

From my experience... modern Unions are largely political organisations. There's plenty of employment law in place to protect 'workers' these days.

No answer to this question as yet!!!!
Sorry it was verbal dismissal, 7 days notice, previous weeks pay and outstanding holiday paid the week after. Union was Unite. I did have an appeal meeting with the directors but it arrived on a Friday and the meeting was for the following Monday but because of the way Unite was with me I was already on holiday when I got the letter...

Got a new job 2 weeks later and finished my apprenticeship only 6 months late

Unite the union are recognised for collective bargaining etc so if you want a say in the industry, would advise going to them. Think they do a discounted rate for apprentices as well but not sure what that is now. Good to be a member and have the advice when needed

Sorry it was verbal dismissal, 7 days notice, previous weeks pay and outstanding holiday paid the week after. Union was Unite. I did have an appeal meeting with the directors but it arrived on a Friday and the meeting was for the following Monday but because of the way Unite was with me I was already on holiday when I got the letter...

And the reason for the dismissal?

I am not a fan of unions for reasons I’ve gone into other threads, but if the union though the dismissal unfair they would have backed you to the hilt.

You should have stuck with it and appealed.

OK but what had you done or not done to illicit a verbal dismissal that's against all employment law, were you given a warning verbal and in writing, must be a reason for such action, a Union would have backed you all the way to the eventual tribunal.
[automerge]1569076313[/automerge]
And the reason for the dismissal?

I am not a fan of unions for reasons I’ve gone into other threads, but if the union though the dismissal unfair they would have backed you to the hilt.

You should have stuck with it and appealed.

What do you mean, "the way the Unite was with me"? don't understand if you weren't going away traveling to your Holiday, I would have attended the meeting, if you were just taking a break from work a day would neither be here or there, after all it was your job on the line.
Sorry if you couldn't be bothered about the meeting, then you only had yourself to blame, good you managed to find someone else to take you on as an Apprentice.

Last edited:
I’m really curious to know the reason, but it’s your prerogative not to inform us.
it would however make your comment more credible it you told us.

We may agree with you.

Reply to Joining a Union in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock