Discuss junction boxes. good or bad? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mullock

Hi all

i'm still doing my 2330 courses and am being instructed how to wire lighting circuits using a main feed and a strapper down to the switches. We have to told that junction boxes are bad practice as they restrict accessability which makes perfect sense.

I recently had a look at a family members house which has just been re-wired and found that juntion boxes had been used. Is this poor standards to save money on cable or the normal.

cheers everyone

its really bad and poorly rewired if in a new installation they have needed to use junction boxes :mad: i cant see why apart from poor workmanship that they need junction boxes.

Hi all

i'm still doing my 2330 courses and am being instructed how to wire lighting circuits using a main feed and a strapper down to the switches. We have to told that junction boxes are bad practice as they restrict accessability which makes perfect sense.

I recently had a look at a family members house which has just been re-wired and found that juntion boxes had been used. Is this poor standards to save money on cable or the normal.

cheers everyone

do u mean the JB's were used in the 3 plate lighting connection or someone cut a cable to short and extended it?

its a fairly old house that was re-wired all though. From what i could see junction boxes where used as in the three plate lighting connection.

its a fairly old house that was re-wired all though. From what i could see junction boxes where used as in the three plate lighting connection.

hi
if the light fittings are not ,ceiling roses ,then "spiders" would be a neater and easyer way of doing it;)

Quite glad someone brought this up. I'm two thirds through my 2330 also, and have worked for several different companies gaining experience on site.

About half have told me that absolutely under no circumstances should a junction box be used even if it means pulling out and reinstalling an entire run of cable that has been cut too short, and the other half have said it's fine to use jb's pretty much wherever it seems the most convenient thing to do.

I'm still quite a bit confused by this! :)

Quite glad someone brought this up. I'm two thirds through my 2330 also, and have worked for several different companies gaining experience on site.

About half have told me that absolutely under no circumstances should a junction box be used even if it means pulling out and reinstalling an entire run of cable that has been cut too short, and the other half have said it's fine to use jb's pretty much wherever it seems the most convenient thing to do.

I'm still quite a bit confused by this! :)

In my opinion using a junction box ,to extend a bit of cable is just lazy and bad practice ,using one to connect to a light fitting thats not a 3 plate fitting ,i think its preferable to using connector block pushed up into the ceiling
junction boxes have provided a solution for electricians for a very long time ,some folks just want to change everything.i will continue to use the good old spider as long as they make them ,but only as a solution not a matter of course

Hey rum, i haven't seen a 'spider' before....is there a link you know of so i can sneak a peep;)

cheers...mac

junction boxes. good or bad? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Naw you just wrap the wire around its legs , they work a bit like a plc, there clever wee things:cool:

I use JB's every now and then to extend a circuit in order to save the time pulling a new circuit in. IMO, if terminated properly and accessible (and screwed down) then there is nothing wrong. However, if undergoing a rewire then there is no excuse for JB's.

I use JB's every now and then to extend a circuit in order to save the time pulling a new circuit in. IMO, if terminated properly and accessible (and screwed down) then there is nothing wrong. However, if undergoing a rewire then there is no excuse for JB's.

sorry to disagree cirrus ,but i wouldnt use a joint box to extend any circuit ,i consider it bad practice and would require the job to be done again if i was running the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
naw ,its about having pride in your work ,in my opinion it doesnt matter how long a job takes as long as its right ,and money is no excuse for bad workmanship,as i said if you were working on a job i was running and you did that ,i would ask you to put it right ,if you argued about it i would pump you off the job ,its bad practice ,do a job to the best of your ability ,thats what pays in the end

So are you saying there is NEVER a reason to extend a circuit Rum? It is widely accepted practice to use JB's and even more commonly - crimps. I became a spark to enjoy the work but also make money fella and I would rather use a JB where necessary than 'lose' money by pulling a fresh circuit in.

Reply to junction boxes. good or bad? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock