Discuss Junction Boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know it's not the point really, but there will be correctly fitted, 'unacceptable' jb's under floors and above ceilings for donkeys years to come. I wonder how many 'incidents' will occur as a result ? On the other hand, how many joints exist without any sort of jb. Regulations are there to be adhered to, yes, but once again mountains and molehills come to mind

Last edited:
Don't assume that all crimp connectors are suitable for solid-core cable, even with a proper ratchet tool. Most crimps are made to splay and crimp multistrand cable only. Always check the techspec before using them as a maintenance-free joint.

Don't assume that all crimp connectors are suitable for solid-core cable, even with a proper ratchet tool. Most crimps are made to splay and crimp multistrand cable only. Always check the techspec before using them as a maintenance-free joint.
adamn good reason to ban the solid crap and go back to the old 7/029 = proper cable, that was.

Thanks for your emphatic replies. I am a diy'er however let me explain further. My extension has had to go through planning permission and consequently the BCO. I'm aware that a kitchen is considered a 'special location' and requires 'Notification'; so by the virtue of these control measures i will only get a qualified electrician to test, inspect and issue a certificate of compliance in accordance with current legal requirements. A friend, who is a time served, qualified electrician will issue the neccessary certificates, i am doing the chaising in and cable running and other associated labour intensive and cost increasing jobs, but i am not doing anything on a live circuit.

I asked the origional question out of general interest because firstly my mate is out the country at the minute and unavaiable and secondly because i know there is some widely opposing views on crimps and JBs and what is considered 'an accessable site for JBs. Cheers Rich.

It makes me laugh how a guy comes on here to ask a simple question, about work he's doing in his OWN house and the first four or five post are people just having a go at him and telling him he's going to kill everybody. As soon as he elaborates a bit you all suddenly see the error in your ways and start giving answers.
Talking of killing everybody, how many people die in accidents in the home each year? about 4000, and how many are killed by the fixed wiring in their home? about 15. Bit bloody dramatic no? A DIYer changing the brake pads on his car is more likely to cause a fatality.

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking of killing everybody, how many people die in accidents in the home each year? about 4000, and how many are killed by the fixed wiring in their home? about 15. Bit bloody dramatic no. A DIYer changing the brake pads on his car is more likely to cause a fatality.

Rant over.
I agree Dave but how many of those DIYers would be willing to not have their car serviced by a qualified mechanic on a regular basis or how many would service their own central heating system?
Electrics... Piece of cake
Discuss

That was my point. If the carpet is loose, I would argue that would make JB under the screwed square of floorboard accessible but if it was fitted, or if laminate was layed, in my opinion, that would make it inaccessible.

Anything above the ceiling in my opinion is accesible- with the use of a padsaw, thats where the definitian becomes blurry, in what circumstances does it need to be accesible? even a floorboard with no covering ie carpet could be inaccesible with a built in wardrobe built over it!!

Anyway, if the JB is inaccesible, then who is going to know its there??? so use what you bloody well want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only junction boxes i have ever had to do "maintence" on were when the old lighting ciruits never had a cpc, and the were plenty of chases that needed to be done then o a few holes in the ceiling werent gonna make much difference

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I have had the odd couple of loose terminals in hidden JBs.
Doing a RFC test as part of a PIR late last year i got 15 ohms for r1.
Further investigation narrowed it to between two sockets in the kitchen.
So it was a trip down the crawlspace.
JB was screwed to a floor joist... must have been vibration from the washing machine above that worked the screws loose.

Also had a number of loose terminal screws in switches and sockets on neighbours' houses - vibration from adjacent railway combined with brand of accessories I think. Strangely no similar problems on my own house.

Simon.

I agree Dave but how many of those DIYers would be willing to not have their car serviced by a qualified mechanic on a regular basis or how many would service their own central heating system?
Electrics... Piece of cake
Discuss
When the likes of B&Q are banned from selling all the gear to rewire a house, plus they give guidance on how to do parts of it, then we are moving forward.

Until Electrical Wholesalers are a bit more stringent on who they sell to, like lets say food wholesalers (much harder for public to buy food from wholesalers than electrical wiring & accessories - mad mad world!) then we are moving forward.

In England and Wales in particular with Part P, what do they think normal homeowner is going to do with the goods bought? Its not likely a spark will ever see it, nor is it likely to be used in a commercial/industrial site. If the DIY'er can't get materials so easily, less likely for problems to occur.

Van service up the local garage = £250 + day off work
parts from eurocarparts = £55 ad i can do it on sunday

So people do service their own cars, and their are plenty of places that joe public can buy car parts, just as there are places that sell electric gear, and come to think of it you can go to B&Q and buy all the plumbing gear under the sun, so if you are confident in your own ability to solder copper piping there would be nothing stopping you running a new pipe from your gas meter to your new cooker point , so its not just electrics that joe public can "have a go at" if they feel like it.
come to think of it i saw tiles in wickes, and plaster, breeze blocks, drainage, hmmmmmm you could probably build a house without being a builder!!!!!

When the likes of B&Q are banned from selling all the gear to rewire a house, plus they give guidance on how to do parts of it, then we are moving forward.

Call me sad but I sent a complaint to B & Q as there how to do it books and posters are still to 16th edition!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330238016.462702.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 78

Call me sad but I sent a complaint to B & Q as there how to do it books and posters are still to 16th edition!!
It does say at the bottom that all work must comply with the latest regs. That will stop a DIY'er getting it wrong for sure!!! LOL

Yes people do carry out work on their own cars however, a car has to pass an annual safety inspection before it can be used on the roads. If this has not been done then the local constabulary will be having a word with you and can take the car off you, hit you with penalty points and a fine.
Cowboys and Joe Public testing their work?

In England and Wales in particular with Part P, what do they think normal homeowner is going to do with the goods bought? Its not likely a spark will ever see it, nor is it likely to be used in a commercial/industrial site. If the DIY'er can't get materials so easily, less likely for problems to occur.

I'm not a qualified chef, but I'm allowed to buy raw chicken, and not let a chef "see it".

As far as I'm aware, it is not illegal for DIYers to "do" electrics IF notified to building control, so there's no problem selling them the materials. My wholesaler sells to anyone despite the big notice that says "STRICTLY TRADE ONLY". They're in business to make money, same as the rest of us. As long as we do that within the law, we can sleep easily. There will always be people who break the rules, and they're not all DIYers.

It makes me laugh how a guy comes on here to ask a simple question, about work he's doing in his OWN house and the first four or five post are people just having a go at him and telling him he's going to kill everybody. As soon as he elaborates a bit you all suddenly see the error in your ways and start giving answers.
Talking of killing everybody, how many people die in accidents in the home each year? about 4000, and how many are killed by the fixed wiring in their home? about 15. Bit bloody dramatic no? A DIYer changing the brake pads on his car is more likely to cause a fatality.

Rant over.

I think you'll find that I occupy the second post of this thread and along with my concern about the OP carrying out this work, I still gave a direct answer!

Reply to Junction Boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net