Discuss Junction Boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes people do carry out work on their own cars however, a car has to pass an annual safety inspection before it can be used on the roads. If this has not been done then the local constabulary will be having a word with you and can take the car off you, hit you with penalty points and a fine.

Not the case mate...

A car has to pass an inspection once a year, it can be used for at 364 days after DIY work on it.

I'm sure there are mechanics out there who are complaining about untrained people doing "potentially deadly" work on their cars.

Life cannot be risk free, it's a fact. As someone has said, should be stop Tesco from selling a chicken in case an untrained person undercooks it and gives the family food poisoning?

Not the case mate...

A car has to pass an inspection once a year, it can be used for at 364 days after DIY work on it.

I'm sure there are mechanics out there who are complaining about untrained people doing "potentially deadly" work on their cars.

Life cannot be risk free, it's a fact. As someone has said, should be stop Tesco from selling a chicken in case an untrained person undercooks it and gives the family food poisoning?
quite correct,in fact it actually states that an mot only indicates that the car meets required standard at time of test,eg your car has 4 bald tyres which you cannot afford to replace so you borrow 4 off a mates car pass test and then put baldy,s back on,car was good at time of test,you now sell car complete with baldy,s and new mot,purchaser gets stopped and produces new mot and cop points out the above refering to condition at time of test end off. btw funny how we get from sparking to mechanics aint it lol:)

As someone has said, should be stop Tesco from selling a chicken in case an untrained person undercooks it and gives the family food poisoning?
Tesco might sell you a chicken, but try to buy a knife and they might ask you for ID. Same with fireworks.
They've even been known to try to stop people buying spoons.

I am amazed, no sorry outraged, at some of the earlier comments to this topic. OK so DIYers do their own electrics thats a fact and no mattter who or what you are you ain't going to stop them doing so short of bringing out a law that stops them doing so. What I would have said regarding Junction boxes and crimping joints to cables was what a professional (cos the responder(s) reckons or infers thats what they are) how the regs interpretated how it should be done. Not make yourselves look like pompous pratts OK rant over. Thanks

I am amazed, no sorry outraged, at some of the earlier comments to this topic. OK so DIYers do their own electrics thats a fact and no mattter who or what you are you ain't going to stop them doing so short of bringing out a law that stops them doing so. What I would have said regarding Junction boxes and crimping joints to cables was what a professional (cos the responder(s) reckons or infers thats what they are) how the regs interpretated how it should be done. Not make yourselves look like pompous pratts OK rant over. Thanks

Pardon??

They are all a year older and all grown up now I suspect lol

Its a bit out of the blue because I was looking for some confirmation on junction boxes and their siting but as the originator of the question got such a mawling from certain members of this illustrious forum I declined to ask and just commented on the ignorance of certain members.

Why didn't you start your own thread, or have you simply thrown your toys and keyboard out of your pram?

No toys to throw!

Use them Jbs then
icon7.png

Hmm I have had the odd couple of loose terminals in hidden JBs.
Doing a RFC test as part of a PIR late last year i got 15 ohms for r1.
Further investigation narrowed it to between two sockets in the kitchen.
So it was a trip down the crawlspace.
JB was screwed to a floor joist... must have been vibration from the washing machine above that worked the screws loose.

Also had a number of loose terminal screws in switches and sockets on neighbours' houses - vibration from adjacent railway combined with brand of accessories I think. Strangely no similar problems on my own house.

Simon.
I have had instances where by screws in sockets etc have worked them selves loose.
50 cycles has a habit of doing that. Its wise to screw every thing up as tight as you can then go back and tighten them again.

Reply to Junction Boxes in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net