Discuss Just how long will this "mess " last in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

London Luke

If "jo Public" had access to forums like this etc they would be horrified by whats going on in the trade. Its like the Government have screwed up big time.

There should be one board/set of exams and thats it.

The government luv quangos, more they set up the more likely they stay in power. I thinks they have been sussed just in time

If "jo Public" had access to forums like this etc they would be horrified by whats going on in the trade. Its like the Government have screwed up big time.

There should be one board/set of exams and thats it.

erm.....jo public does have access to forums like this

how could you one board/set of exams?

there are 43 categories of trades than call themselves 'electricians'

I am more maintenance than installation, I have not done 2330, AM2 etc etc, but i have been an 'electrician' for the best part of 25 years, and to be honest, many 'electricians' I have met are little more than labourers. i have leanrnt the installation side of things over the years, and quite frankly, though it was a peice of P*ss compared to the technical stuff I worked on

I am not an 'electrician' in the eyes of people like the JIB, but my list of qualifiactions runs to two sides of a sheet of A4, and I seem to have a 'passable' knowledge of the game compared to some on here.

trouble is with installation electricians, they have a snobbish and elitist attitude, they seem to think no-one can enter their world without a very specific route of training and quals, but they quite happily start medling in other fields and areas that are beyond them

On the contrary most maintaintence sparks do little more than clean contacts. They have no clue how to terminate big cables, they cannot design a simple lighting circuit, they would be lost in how to form conduit, cannot design bends in trunking, tray ladder rack etc.

As always there are different cats. of sparks. I will agree an installation spark these days would have no idea how to fault find old time dc/ac motor stuff. But nowadays nor could a maint.spark. Most is pc controlled, and a detail can be obtained from ladder type drawings of any fault. On the whole a real installation spark is worth much more than a maint. spark, hence the difference in wages.

On the contrary most maintaintence sparks do little more than clean contacts. They have no clue how to terminate big cables, they cannot design a simple lighting circuit, they would be lost in how to form conduit, cannot design bends in trunking, tray ladder rack etc.

As always there are different cats. of sparks. I will agree an installation spark these days would have no idea how to fault find old time dc/ac motor stuff. But nowadays nor could a maint.spark. Most is pc controlled, and a detail can be obtained from ladder type drawings of any fault. On the whole a real installation spark is worth much more than a maint. spark, hence the difference in wages.

well its horses for courses

I am old school - I cut my teeth on autosynchronous induction motors, soldering 70 sq mm cable, parallelling generators manually, jeez i have even payed with carbon pile regulators for genny field control. I have done all the PLC, invertor, soft starter type stuff as well.

Made me laugh a few months back, we took on a new industrial unit, we needed to put a three phase board in, run a few three phase supplies out for machinery, and some for motors on roller doors. i was maxed at the time so the boss decided to pick up the yelloow pages and phone sparks to come and quote for the work. 6 seperate guys turned up, and 5 of them walked away without even looking at it because they 'dont touch three phase'.

Oh for fuc* sake:p

Reply to Just how long will this "mess " last in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock