Discuss Just how smart are "Smart Meters"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good day readers, if any,I am an old sparky, a very old sparky. I can remember old Faraday giving us lectures Wednesday evenings at evening
classes; I haven't learned much since. Intro over..................HELP!
I live in a bungalow with electricity as the only energy supply. This supplied via an RTS and economy 7 meter an old 6 way consumer unit for normal household loads and (via the RTS) to a 4 way consumer unit dedicated to night storage heaters (approximate total load of 10kW). Under duress (discontinuation of RTS) I agreed to having an Economy 7, 5 wire Smart Meter installed, where the 5th wire controls the "off peak" load switching. OK, everything normal, took him 4 1/2 hours to install but we have all had jobs like that have we not?
I changed supplier but kept record of meter reading twice a day (22.00, bedtime and 08.00 pre breakfast time). I soon started to realise that I was clocking 5 kWh on the Day time tariff every NIGHT. The Night time tariff increased as expected. I switched off 1 mcb of the "normal" consumer unit
each night but the 5 units remained constant. Started timing checks and found that the LOAD csu switches ON at 00.07 BUT the NIGHT tariff switches ON at 00.33 (times are aprox) and as old Faraday said "10kW over 30 mins equals 5 Units. The supplier will not listen to any argument. Complaint is escalating but they stick to the mantra that they are allowed to be 2 hours out of sinc. and I am out of pocket £325 per heating season.
Any ideas for next step?

Interesting what you say, I have allowed with my system for the change to be half hour out, so start charging at 0:30 and stop at 7:30 but night rate should be I am told 0 to 8. My heating is oil, so yesterday my use was Power used 6th March as example.jpgwhich is normally less than £3 a day total. It does not seem I have any method to hard wire any change over from using battery to charging battery, seems I am on EV charging tariff however I don't have an EV unless counting my ebike.

Since a fixed change over time no real need for telemetry, I am with British Gas, and Octopus I am told do cheaper rates, but they vary, both time an tariff so simple timer will not really work.

As with you on switch on at in my case 0:30 I use most of the power going to be used that day, in my case by 2:00 the battery is nearly fully charged, so I could delay switch on until a lot latter, and although I have a dip in the morning it does not go low enough to mean I import.

However we have had economy 7 for years, think it started in the 80's, but then we got economy 10 which had a boost during the day, and now a whole host of tariffs, I am still trying to get pay in payment sorted, but once done, money may go in and out of bank account for electric but it will near enough be net zero.

You can't hope to get to that, but a delay unit at least for some of the storage heaters could help.

Reply to Just how smart are "Smart Meters"? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net