Discuss Kitchen rewiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sjmgbr

Can anyone help me - I have just had a qualified elctrician rewire a room that is to become my new kitchen. The house is a bungalow with solid floors and for all the new plugs he has only run the wire down the wall from the attic and run all the wires alond the floors and has told me the will go under all of my new units. Is this legal? Am just a bit concerned as I understood all cables / wiring had to come vertically down the wall to the sockets?
HELP!

This is actually common practice. I rewire kitchens for councils and this is the way it gets done. As long as the vertical drops to sockets are chased and sheathed then that's fine. As for the draping cables behind work units - happens every day of the week on council contracts. I prefer to put mine in a horizontal run of plastic trunking so there is some mechanical protection but you could argue that if the cables are hidden by kitchen base units then they are 'safe'. There is good practice and quick practice. He has wired your kitchen this way for speed. Personally, if you had paid me, I would have chased EVERYTHING.

This is actually common practice. I rewire kitchens for councils and this is the way it gets done. As long as the vertical drops to sockets are chased and sheathed then that's fine. As for the draping cables behind work units - happens every day of the week on council contracts. I prefer to put mine in a horizontal run of plastic trunking so there is some mechanical protection but you could argue that if the cables are hidden by kitchen base units then they are 'safe'. There is good practice and quick practice. He has wired your kitchen this way for speed. Personally, if you had paid me, I would have chased EVERYTHING.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

sorry cirrus dont agree:eek::eek::eek:

we do rewires for the council and i do the kitchens and mains........... anyway we always run our cables from above and down to sockets and spurs and then outlets. i go from one socket to anther from the side as it says you can in the regs but if its a long stretch then i go back up then across and down to the next socket. it would never enter my mind to run cables behind the units. all our cables go in pvc tubing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've certainly seen it done time and again. I wouldn't like to do it myself but as cirrus implies - it comes down to time and what the client is willing to pay!

We may not agree with it but it is standard practice and I have seen it done by several companies in the last 3 years.. I get to single handedly 1st and 2nd fix a large kitchen with 4 twin sockets, 4 /5 s/f/spurs, a fan, new ring main, new cooker circuit, test and also core a fan hole and install bathroom fan in one working day (including chasing). You have to do it in one day to make what the council pay you worth having!

Reply to Kitchen rewiring in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock