Discuss Kitchen stainless; exposed or exrainious? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lionelmcc

Hi all

better to ask

my client is DIYer installing two stainless steel splash backs in a kitchen, (not within touching distance of eachother). He wants to cut into the stainless and have me flush mount the sockets? Should I bond the stainless back to the CU or earth them vie the CPC?

Forgive me my green shoots

Hi all

better to ask

my client is DIYer installing two stainless steel splash backs in a kitchen, (not within touching distance of eachother). He wants to cut into the stainless and have me flush mount the sockets? Should I bond the stainless back to the CU or earth them vie the CPC?

Forgive me my green shoots

does it intoduce aearth potntial into installation ?
i would say no so just earth from socket circuit but i am open to other sugestions

Are they stainless socket fronts ? if so contact with them/panel should surfice.

I would put backbox in before he puts splashback in and cut smaller holes in splashback ( measure up etc ) then put a link to cpc and earth screws with splashback via washerlugs.
Just my thought
Regards
Kung.

Doesn,t do any harm to bond any steel in a kitchen or the like, makes everything same potential then eh!

I would be more worried about introducing a potential if everything in sight is bonded.

i was thinking along the same lines...where do you stop, and you may even be increasing the shock risk buy earthing these splashbacks.

Is there 30mA protection on them??

Isn,t having the same earth potential through out good as an indifference could be lethal.

Well yes, but that's the point I'm making if you earth the splashbacks and nowt else you may have a fault sitting on them and if you inadvertantly touched another metallic part then OUCH!!

Are there any metal tables in close proximity is the bonding up to scratch if you start earthing metallic equipment where do you stop??

Opinions welcome.

Cheers.

Point taken, just that the local authorities we deal with won,t accept anything less than all stainless tables for eg, with flying bonds "pig tails " to earth, mainly in school kitchens, that was all , i know what your saying though.

Hey mate

It's the same with us, Authority wise.

The actual reg regarding bonding of metal sinks and tables etc went out with the 15th edition.

Nowadys you only need to bond metal tables that have electrical equipment on them i.e bottle washers meat slicers etc and S/O should be 30mA protected.

To me that is asking for trouble, bonding one table and not the others around it, thats why I say where do you stop, I've ended up bonding everything from sinks to tables to the cutlery in the past:eek:

Bit of a gey one this.:confused:

Cheers.

Takes bloomin time as well, forget to mention that, sounds easy and simple, which it is but cost wise well, it is a bloomin cost.

You have to help me here lenny

I was concerned because of the sockets that would be mounted on them and the wiring/cable behind.
If they were plain splash backs I wouldn't be quite so concerned. I like Kung's suggestion fitting flat plate chrome and earthing through the CPC via the contact

PS I will be fitting New CU with RCD

PPS does an induction hob need a C type breaker?

Hey.

Is this a commercial or domestic kitchen??

Either way I feel that in this instance the splashback has to be earthed as there is no way you can guarantee insulation from the S/O or through transient voltages to the splasback even with pvc sockets.

Another point is that should he have stainless steel appliances that developed a fault then there is shock risk there with the PD between the casing of the appliance and the splashback if it's not earthed.

IMO bond the splashback, install 30mA RCD and this should be ok.

A B type should be ok as IMO you cant start up all the rings at exactly the same time on the hob. If there is a problem you can always swap it out.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks lenny

Just to clarify; Bonded rather than through the CPC? Or would either method be acceptable?

It is a domestic propery but the plans are for a very small tearoom

Hey.

It's the same principal as supp bonding in bathrooms whereby all cpc's of all circuits within the bathroom are joined together in 4mm single earth cable to any pipework.

I would do the same, take a 4mm from the socket outlet and bolt it to the splashbacks somewhere out of site if possible.

Hope this helps.

Lenny.

If somebody drills through the splashback ie put a shelf up etc and drills into a buried cable and screws into it then the splashback could become live !
Do take point though as kitchen sinks dont need bonding etc and water pipes are bonded so sink will be and pipes by the rising main. better to bond everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have posted the following in relation to previous comments regarding metal tables in a kitchen, but Regulation 8 still applies.

Can I bring the 'Electricity at Work Regulations 1989' to your attention. As you are aware these regulations are statutory and it is a criminal offence if you have not taken reasonalbe steps to comply.

Regulation 8 states as follows; "Precautions shall be taken, either by earthing or by other suitable means, to prevent danger arising when any conductor (other than a circuit conductor) which may reasonably foreseeably become charged as a result of either the use of a system, or a fault in a system, becomes so charged; and, for the purposes of ensuring compliance with this regulation, a conductor shall be regarded as earthed when it is connected to the general mass of earth by conductors of sufficient strength and current-carrying capability to discharge electrical energy to earth."

So the metal table which is a conductor must be earthed if a piece of electrical equipment is intended to 'sit' on the table.

Sorry this reply is drawn out but it is important that these regulations are followed in addition to the IEE Regs.

Reply to Kitchen stainless; exposed or exrainious? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock