Discuss Labour Manifesto in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

What chance have we got as a country....
Whilst the country sits back and lets themselves be manipulated by these means, none whatsoever.
Politics has always been corrupt and influenced by others outside of politics, but now it is shamelessly in your face. "We are lying to you, people know, and we don't care because we will get away with it" seems to be the new tactic.

As long as enough people can be manipulated to hold power it does not seem to matter to those in power that their methods are known.

not whilst Charles is still the heir to the throne, talking to plants. .

Yeah I’ve read it was more like £145,000, as a complete package. In his words, he said he was worth it.

Voting LD Andy, hoping for a Remain? I’ve moved on, firmly Brexit now. :)
I'm happy to leave Midwest, but not on the Tories no deal package.

I would never vote Lib Dem again, used to vote for them tactically as I'm in a v safe Tory seat. But after 2010 that’s me finished with them.
[automerge]1574603909[/automerge]
not whilst Charles is still the heir to the throne, talking to plants. .
I remember when Charles married Diana Tel, there was a big call for the queen to abdicate so that Charles could become king. Give it 20 or 30 years and it will be the same with William and his kid.

I see Labour are planning on giving £54bn to a group of WASPY women who lost out on their pensions age being raised from 60 to 65.

Would this lead to men being able to challenge this decision and claim discrimination based on gender.

Gender doesn't even exist anymore, what if the man identifies as a woman?

I see Labour are planning on giving £54bn to a group of WASPY women who lost out on their pensions age being raised from 60 to 65.

Would this lead to men being able to challenge this decision and claim discrimination based on gender.

Gender doesn't even exist anymore, what if the man identifies as a woman?
Makes a mockery of equality and equal rights doesn’t it...

And let us not forget the message the last Labour chancellor left for the incoming Conservative one.
Something like "Welcome to your job, sorry there's no money left!"

Oh, and Bob Crow never earned £120 000.
I must apologise... I got the figure wrong ! I've just checked it and according to an interview in The Guardian from 7/2/2014 he was on a salary package of £145,000
[automerge]1574847803[/automerge]
I grew up on a council estate. Back then, the 60s and 70s, the people on the estate represented a cross section of society. My neighbour worked in a factory, his neighbour had a paper shop, I remember there was a GP, my dad was a milkman and my Mum managed to get a job at the Bank of England when we were in our teens.

I think it’s for this reason that the estate was clean and the houses were kept well and the gardens cared for.
No... you're wrong. The reason is that back in those days, if you were given a council house you considered yourself very lucky !! That's why you looked after it. These days, everyone is 'entitled' to it ! A rather different mindset.

I know this because my grandmother lived in a lovely little row of council houses for over 45 years. We knew all the neighbours... there were no GPs, no show owners, no people with money... nearly all of them were factory and farm workers... And if the gardens outside were a reflection of the way they looked after the inside, they were very well cared for.

My grandmother is long since departed... but a recent visit to reminisce about my youth was somewhat shocking ! Most gardens are now strewn with rubbish and scrapped cars ! The word 'slums' would probably not be too strong a word.

The 'entitlement culture' yet again !

Last edited:
I must apologise... I got the figure wrong ! I've just checked it and according to an interview in The Guardian from 7/2/2014 he was on a salary package of £145,000
[automerge]1574847803[/automerge]
As you say 'salary package' this includes employers NI and pension. You said he was 'paid' £ 150 000.
You've changed it from paid to package.
Who adds enployers NI and pension when they say what they earn?

No... you're wrong. The reason is that back in those days, if you were given a council house you considered yourself very lucky !! That's why you looked after it. These days, everyone is 'entitled' to it ! A rather different mindset.

The 'entitlement culture' yet again !
That's totaly wrong, there were far more council and social houses available in the 60s and 70s.
Now less than half the amount from the early 80s. And it's very hard to get one.

I'm pretty sure there's not an entitlement culture.

What the heck have the Tories done for us in the last nine years?, austerity that's what. Labour are far from perfect i agree but the I'm all right jack and stuff the rest of you mentality that seems to be taking over this country is very unsavoury. You say about Labours spending plans and ideas but the Tories are promising all sorts. Who would believe serial liar Boris?, not me.

Allegedly the austerity measures had to implemented by the coalition government, because the Labour government had overspent. You can’t spend what you ain’t got.

Allegedly yes, but for 9 years?, and then the Tories can suddenly find billions of pounds because there is a General Election coming. Was it £350 million a week could go to the NHS by coming out of Europe painted over the battle bus? Another one of Boris and his cronies porkies. I'm not saying Labour are much better these days but lets not pretend the Tories are going to lead us to some kind of non existent Utopia.
I do think the wider general problem is total lack of trust in all of our politicians which is why a lot of people look for alternatives.

I'm pretty sure there's not an entitlement culture.
I'm pretty sure there is....

There's even a website called 'entitledto.xxxx'... for checking what benefits you're 'entitled' to... it's not about whether you need help anymore !! and a quick google search throws up all sorts of links to people asking if they're 'entitled' to this or 'entitled' to that...

Another example is if someone feels unwell... years ago, after applying common sense and asking your Mum... you'd see your GP or go to A&E... these days we are all 'entitled' to an ambulance, whether we need one or not !

The list goes on and on... the problem is that after you've given people these things.... it's almost impossible to take them away...

one of my favorite rants is that people can got to their GP to get a free prescription for things like paracetamol, costing the NHS around £70 per prescription, whereras they can buy over counter for a quid or so. this needs to be stopped. a saving to the NHS figure i seen quoted was around £84million, countrywide. and A&E swamed by patints that should never be there, e.g. last week was a lady of eastern origin with a slight cut on her leg, less than i get every day from sharp cable ends, just needed a plaster. rant over.

Reply to Labour Manifesto in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net