Discuss landlord supply responsibility in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,can anyone tell me what is the minimum a landlord has to supply in a small industrial unit, does he have to supply emergency lighting, fire alarm,hot water? or is that the tenants responsibility, or does anyone know where this information can be found,Thanks

I have been asked by the owner of 6 new units he has had built ,2 are 3 phase the rest single, His budget is maxed out so needs to know the minimum install he has to supply to start renting out and pull some money back

If the landlord isn't specifying what the space is used for it will be up to the tenant to specify the way it's fitted out and what safety requirements apply. It'll be different for a warehouse and an office, or combination of the two, for example.
Typically the tenant will install services to suit their needs and at the end of the lease put it back to how it was, or pay the landlord to put it back. As others have said, it's down to the rental contract.

By law or code their is no mandated minimum capacity,
It's purely up to the tenant and landlord to agree on.
But I would imagine for best possible chance of tenants three phase is used by vast majority of industrial tenants so for best chance I would go for three phase. Minimum of 30A per phase.
The tenant may even be prepaired to do the electrical fit. out if the tenancy agreement is economical enough.

I have been involved in Westfields and the 02.
In both cases, all that was supplied to the retail units were a CU.
The leaseholders would fit out the retail unit as per their specifications.
I have also been involved in new light industrial units and railway arches.
In such units we provided a CU, basic lighting and power.
Generally the terms for such units would allow leaseholders and tenants to alter the existing electrical installation, with the proviso that at the end of the lease or tenancy, it was put back to original state.
I have heard of instances where the owners have tried insisting that the installation should not be put back to original, but to current BS7671 requirements.

With offices, there is usually 2 categories of fit out.
Cat A is basic power, lighting, air conditioning, sprinklers and fire detection.
Cat B is a more involved fit out, usually done to the leasholder’s or tenant’s specifications.

... with the proviso that at the end of the lease or tenancy, it was put back to original state....
This comes as a surprise to many.
Tenant:"But we've made it better for the next occupant."
Landlord:"Don't care, I'm still going to charge you ten grand to put it back how it was."

Reply to landlord supply responsibility in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net