Discuss Lightning strike in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I got called out to a house that was hit by lightning and it has blown a lot of the appliances light fittings etc and i need to make a report for the insurance company can i put in the db change as it does not comply with current regs (old wylex type) and put it down as faulty? I ask because i need to do some repair work on the house replacing sockets and lights and there is no RCD

Yes even if there is no physical sign of damage to the CU I would recommend to the insurance company the need to change the CU as a cost effective exercise?

There are several ways you can do this.

1) Quote specific regulations concerning RCD protection inside domestic dwellings such as 411.3.3 for Socket outlets and 522.6.101 for cable buried and that you need to conform to the regulations, that will blind them with science and insurance companies love a regulation.

2) Tell them as a competent person you can not guarantee what kind of damaged was sustained during the incident to the existing installation and in particular to the Consumer Unit and it is your considered opinion as that competent person it should be changed, they will not stick their necks out and over rule this, they may get a 2nd opinion who may want to say naw don't need it, well let him/she do that and take responsibility.

I'm pretty sure though that the combined baffling with science and putting the onus back on them will get what you want

Are you doing a full inspection of the wiring as it will have carried current way in excess of a standard fault..... this also will have put the integrity of the existing fusing into question as they have possibly handled currents well beyond their breaking capacity.... the true condition of the fusing is thus questionable and should be changed.

A recommendation to insurance company to protect the installation by fitting Surge Protection Device(s) minimising the risk of a future incident/claim.

The insurance company will only pay out for the damage they won't pay for them to have a DB change as its not affected by the lightning strike, they are not a charity just a business but the will say the lightning strike comes under there small print of gods doing and won't pay out at all.

The insurance company will only pay out for the damage they won't pay for them to have a DB change as its not affected by the lightning strike, they are not a charity just a business but the will say the lightning strike comes under there small print of gods doing and won't pay out at all.
Just ask for proof of Gods existance if their gonna use that excuse ;) and IMHO if the lighting has gone through the wiring direct or even induce HV into the system then the integrity and reliability of the protective device has to been put to question as their breaking currents will have been exceeded but with it been hard to prove their operation under fault it has to be assumed that they may have been damaged.

Reply to Lightning strike in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock