Discuss Lights not turning ofg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tpm419

DIY
Reaction score
Hello
my daughter just changed 6 high hat bulbs to LED’s and now they won’t turn off. She said it’s controlled with a single dimmer switch. Am I correct in telling her to replace with an LED compatible dimmer switch first? Aside from the bulbs nothing else has been change.
Thanks!

Try taking the knob off the dimmer switch and pushing the center rod itself......If it works replace the knob but first put a little bit of blue tack or a small piece matchstick inside it....also check if the retaining ring or nut is tight on the faceplate at the base of the rod. But if the lights are flickering when on will prob need a led dimmer anyway....Varilight vpro

Rule out the lamps by replacing the dimmer with a regular switch.

Old dimmers simply reduced the voltage to decrease the light output of incandescent lamps… and had some sort of full click off (either turned past a click, or a push click)
These old dimmers caused a strobing affect with new LED lamps as they seemed to build up the voltage in the internal electronics, released it causing a flash, then went out and started building up again.

Vpro has already been mentioned but I don’t know of available in America.

The trouble is, not all dimmer switches work with dimmable LED lamps, and not all LED lamps are actually dimmable. It may be a case of trial and error to get a compatible pairing.

Thank you guys
I’ll have her replace the switch first with a standard one. Hopefully that works and will than get an LED compatible dimmer switch.

Reply to Lights not turning ofg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

My daughter is asking me if it’s possible to change her double light switch outside her bathroom to a dimmer. It’s a 2 gang switch that turns on...
Replies
Views
I really need help with this puzzler. First - I am moderately 'skilled' in day-to-day basic wiring. My puzzle: I am trying to replace a...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views
My kitchen has track lighting. It consists of three halogen light bulbs. I've had the fixture for more than 25 years with no issues. Last night...
Replies
Views
Kitchen led lights have all of a sudden dimmed by about 30% no dimmer in the system. There are 2 switches for this set of lights. Regardless of...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock