Discuss listen to this one in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lee sandland

been working for this company(,not electrical) ,But have some warehouses thay needed rewiring and they know iam in training , so ask me to do the rewiring .I said i will do all the donkey work (eg putting trunking ,wires in place ,but not connecting it)but will ask a local sparky to finsh off.
Ok they said ,so rang a local sparky to check my work and do all the conection and testing ,i done the fixing right ,but when he ask for £1500 too finsh the job they laugh and said there find someone else ,thay ask me to do it again ,NO then said theres no more work for me
oh well

as i said not trained, i only done the donkey work

Testing is the easy part though.... All you're doing is measuring resistances and impedances!

You would be happy with how it's installed, as you've installed it yourself, so that's the inspection sorted. So a few tests on each circuit and job's a good 'un!

How far into your training are you?

Testing is the easy part though.... All you're doing is measuring resistances and impedances!

You would be happy with how it's installed, as you've installed it yourself, so that's the inspection sorted. So a few tests on each circuit and job's a good 'un!

How far into your training are you?
three months and only doing eal level 2 , plus it's the first job ive done ,so better to be safe than sorry

Ah, that's fair enough mate.

It's not something to be scared of though, it's all so simple. I have to look after a LOT of maintenance electricians who haven't tested for most of their lives, and if I can manage to teach them how to do all the tests in a day, anybody can do it!!

If you're still in training, get a copy of guidance note 3, and have a look through all the tests. You may decide that you can do it with a little bit of research and some practice at home (if you've got the test kit!)....

lee you are right in not wanting to test and sign it off mate. if anything at all went wrong it`s your name above the big steel door mate. it`s not an easy day out having to prove you were competent in front of those guys in wigs. stand your ground mate it really is not worth the grief,

lee you are right in not wanting to test and sign it off mate. if anything at all went wrong it`s your name above the big steel door mate. it`s not an easy day out having to prove you were competent in front of those guys in wigs. stand your ground mate it really is not worth the grief,

That is fair enough, but if you're installing then you should be happy that it's installed correctly...

If it wasn't in Skeggy I would come and test it myself for a fraction of the price, as for some reason I enjoy testing!!

i know where you are coming from mate but if i was in his situation on a level two course i would not be wanting to be the one who is not classed as competent to be signing off sheets. the trouble is when you start doing it some company`s will have you bent over having everything off just to save a few quid. it`s the "well you did it last time" not sure how much knowledge lee has inspec and testing mate. just don`t want to see a good guy get trapped into something he does not want a part of. i remember being asked to sign off a fire alarm and smokes when i was at college. i didn`t install them they just wanted a name on a cert for the fire officer, told them if they wanted that they could do it themselves

Yeah, I do understand that, I'm just very much of the mind that if you can install then you should be able to test too, as it's a requirement under BS7671...

Unfortunately I know that that is not the case, especially in the industry that I work in, and it just gets to me some times, as installation is much much much harder than testing and inspection (I'm rubbish at install!!).

i remember when i could not work out how to do a continuity test :eek: took loads of attempts and how easy is that?? mind you it could have had a little to do with the tester we were using that would give out 0.02 ohms through to 1.99 ohms on the same piece of mtr long cable. no wonder i was confused so was the test instrument :) i learnt the ir test fairly quickly as you do on a 1000v setting on the end of yer finger tips jumped like a kangaroo mind so did my mate at the side of me. serves him right for having a big bob the builders butt. he seemed to cover it a little better after that. ahh students love em

i love testing and at the first opportunity i had i bought my own meter and took it to college with me at least i knew if the results were wrong it was not just spurious readings. although saying i like testing i could not bring myself to do pat testing too often unless i had a few cells removed. the first day i did it it drove me mad. nearly needed the number for the Samaritans :D

He should be looking along the lines of wrongful dismissal.

You need to be working somewhere for at least a year, before this is ever a possibility.
Most companies just get around it by putting people on contracts, and short ones at that. Then, when you are surplus to requirements they just don't bother to renew them.
Perfectly legal.

:mad:

You need to be working somewhere for at least a year, before this is ever a possibility.
Most companies just get around it by putting people on contracts, and short ones at that. Then, when you are surplus to requirements they just don't bother to renew them.
Perfectly legal.

:mad:

I wasn't sure whether he was a subcontractor or employee.

Reply to listen to this one in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net