Discuss Loft light conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Topia

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having issues getting my head around this.

So, I want to install a single ceiling light and switch in the loft.

The loft access is in the middle of the upstairs landing.

There is already downlights across the whole of upstairs landing.

Therefore there are T&E cables up in the loft looping in and out of each one.

Please kindly correct me if the below process is wrong.

I was thinking cut split the wire from landing switch to the first downlight, adding wago connectors to connect the split wires, first downlight wire, and a new 1.5mm T&E cable of new switch for the loft light - All into 1 wago junction box.

Then connecting another 1.5mm T&E cable from the switch to the light. Done.

Is this correct or completely wrong?

Many thanks,
Topia

Doing it that way unless they have looped in and out at the switch you will be minus a N, best way pick up an L and N from one of the lights take to new switch position and fro there to the light in the loft use wagons in the switch box for the N

Most likely the cables looping in and out of the down lights are only switch line and neutral cables so do not contain a permanent line conductor if you require the loft light to be independently switched

Agree. You need a permanent live and neutral. The cables going to lights will be switched live and neutral.

Depending on how old the house is and how it’s been wired, there may be a permanent at one of the lights... is there one with three or more T&E cables at it?
It may have been wired with the L & N at the switch, which may be tricky to get a cable down to.
Another method would be central joint box.... common in older properties, but perm live and neutral in one place.

Mains powered smoke detectors will also have an L and N but also an interconnect between them. Tiny terminal box, so add a small joint box in attic above.

You can't take a supply for a light from the switch wire. You would need to identify the supply wire to the nearest convenient light supply.

Hello,

I am having issues getting my head around this.

So, I want to install a single ceiling light and switch in the loft.

The loft access is in the middle of the upstairs landing.

There is already downlights across the whole of upstairs landing.

Therefore there are T&E cables up in the loft looping in and out of each one.

Please kindly correct me if the below process is wrong.

I was thinking cut split the wire from landing switch to the first downlight, adding wago connectors to connect the split wires, first downlight wire, and a new 1.5mm T&E cable of new switch for the loft light - All into 1 wago junction box.

Then connecting another 1.5mm T&E cable from the switch to the light. Done.

Is this correct or completely wrong?

Many thanks,
Topia
with all due respect, you are clueless. get an electrician.

Hello,
I am having issues getting my head around this. ,
Topia
Whilst this is a pretty simple straightforward job to a trained electrician, lighting circuits can be complicated to someone who is not aware of the exact detail.

As has been already suggested, I would recommend that you engage a competent electrician to do the work because (a) it will save you a lot of potential stress and hassle, especially if you break into the circuit in the worng way/place, and (b) in the event of something happening you may find your insurance is invalidated because you are not a skilled and competent person as required by BS7671

Whilst this is a pretty simple straightforward job to a trained electrician, lighting circuits can be complicated to someone who is not aware of the exact detail.

As has been already suggested, I would recommend that you engage a competent electrician to do the work because (a) it will save you a lot of potential stress and hassle, especially if you break into the circuit in the worng way/place, and (b) in the event of something happening you may find your insurance is invalidated because you are not a skilled and competent person as required by BS7671
or he could end up dead.

It is completley wrong your either going to end up with no neutral, your kept light turning on with your landing lights, or your just going to hurt yourself

I made a typo in OP.

I have 2 cables. 1 switch 1 supply.

Neutral wire in switch is 'live'.

I know how the wiring works.

My only question is at which part of the upstairs downlight circuit can I cut and connect all the wires up in a wago? Does it really matter at which loop in downlight cable I cut into?

The forum rules don't allow step by step guides to be provided.

Your approach is wrong and will not result in what you want (which appears to be a loft light you can turn on and off independently of any other).

The best advice we can give you is to engage the services of a local electrician (preferably one that comes recommended by family/friends/colleagues). For any quality spark, this is a fairly simple job and should take no more than a couple of hours.

Reply to Loft light conundrum in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock