• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Looking for an employer - West Yorkshire in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning guys,

I am new to the forum and a newbie to the industry. I’ve decided to undertake a career change. I’m starting a 3 year training course that I am funding myself. At the end I’ll be a full spectrum electrician, with Level 3 City and Guilds and 18th edition plus much more. I have a green Labourers CSCS card (as of next week) but really just want a job where I can earn not only money, but valuable on the job experience whilst I learn. I’m happy to provide you with details of my training provider and show you what I will be working to achieve.

I’m happy to start off doing anything, even just watching. Not expecting a big wage either, just the liveable adult minimum.

I’m 25 years old, full driving licence, willing to travel, listen and learn.

I can offer any potential employer my driven and punctual work ethic, I am respectful, hardworking and very ambitious.

It takes huge bottle to leave one industry at this age and change your whole life, so I am now looking for someone who will take a chance on me.

Thank you for reading, please contact me if what you have read is of interest. Happy to undertake trial period.

Kind regards

Michael

Not agreed to anything yet, would much prefer to go down the apprenticeship/Traineeship route.

Defo Go down another route If I was and look for Apprenticeship or working as a mate and enrol in a proper college.

Also dont be surprised if the company sends round a salesman holding a clipboard and folder as all he wants your sig and will tell you everything you will want to hear this should set off alarm bells.

That whole Electrican Full Scope you put in a previous post has BS written all over it

That’s proving very difficult at the minute, I’ve written off to 20+ locals contractors via email, asking for a traineeship/apprenticeship.

Due to my age the college side is difficult without an employer. Naturally a proper apprenticeship would be the route I’d prefer to take.

The training provider mentioned is New Trades Career, have a look at their website. Yeah a guy with a clipboard came, i’m not so naive to sign anything before looking at all options. But it’s difficult. What makes you think it couldn’t work? Most electricians mate jobs require some quals or prior knowledge, which the clipboard bloke did say I’d have after 4-6 months of the course...?

Aside from that, I have been on a day course and passed relevant tests to get my green labourers CSCS card, so I can hopefully now get into some sites to work and earn, while I find a suitable employer willing to take a chance on me. Trades seems a lot to with networking

Because it wont work mate. These companies are like double glazing salesman promise you everything tell you how much you will earn until the penny drops once you've signed up and its too late.

What has age got to do with college or an employer? A local college to you will do P/T electrical course the 2365 level 2 and level 3 of which most of the people on the course will over the age of 30
Trust me fella swerve this, any company that sends round a salesman to sell you a course should be avoided at all costs. College is the recognized route.

Yeah I respect your opinion and I’m inclined to agree, however I believe my age would put off any potential employer, as they would need to pay for my training, if they took on a school leaver they likely may not have to. I have spoken to colleges and they said without an employer there is no point enrolling. But can’t get in with anyone until I have some relevant quals. That’s why I believed a training course would give me what I need at first, until a point where I have completed certain modules and gained the relevant quals to be an Electricians Mate.

It’s very difficult knowing what to do for the best, but that’s why I am here, to hear other opinions

Yeah I respect your opinion and I’m inclined to agree, however I believe my age would put off any potential employer, as they would need to pay for my training, if they took on a school leaver they likely may not have to. I have spoken to colleges and they said without an employer there is no point enrolling. But can’t get in with anyone until I have some relevant quals. That’s why I believed a training course would give me what I need at first, until a point where I have completed certain modules and gained the relevant quals to be an Electricians Mate.

It’s very difficult knowing what to do for the best, but that’s why I am here, to hear other opinions

Who ever you have spoke to college is feeding you a load of old BS. Are you sure it was the adult course you were enquiring about and not the day one for school leavers or apprentices. I see you are in West Yorkshire look at the list below.

Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Building & Structures) - https://www.lcb.ac.uk/study-with-us/adult-part-time-courses/level-2-diploma-in-electrical-installations-building-structures/

https://www.calderdale.ac.uk/courses/electrical-installation-level-2/

Good morning guys,

I am new to the forum and a newbie to the industry. I’ve decided to undertake a career change. I’m starting a 3 year training course that I am funding myself. At the end I’ll be a full spectrum electrician, with Level 3 City and Guilds and 18th edition plus much more. I have a green Labourers CSCS card (as of next week) but really just want a job where I can earn not only money, but valuable on the job experience whilst I learn. I’m happy to provide you with details of my training provider and show you what I will be working to achieve.

I’m happy to start off doing anything, even just watching. Not expecting a big wage either, just the liveable adult minimum.

I’m 25 years old, full driving licence, willing to travel, listen and learn.

I can offer any potential employer my driven and punctual work ethic, I am respectful, hardworking and very ambitious.

It takes huge bottle to leave one industry at this age and change your whole life, so I am now looking for someone who will take a chance on me.

Thank you for reading, please contact me if what you have read is of interest. Happy to undertake trial period.

Kind regards

Michael
Hi Michael
Have you got sorted with some work? If not please get in touch as we are looking to take on extra staff. We are a small electrical company based in Harrogate. Hours to suit
Sarah

Reply to Looking for an employer - West Yorkshire in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back