Discuss Looks like the Chinese are back......... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

and the added security that the Mod's have installed for when you access the site has failed,

must try harder springs to mind.
Doing their best I should imagine, don't you? After all nobody likes something you have worked hard for is being screwed up by some people who have nothing better to do with their time.

Last edited:
You have to feel sorry for the mods.. They have to deal with all this spam. I'm with Pete on this. They are doing their best.
Is it down to the mods as to what spam software to install??

They never left.....I've been deleting hundreds of threads, nearly every morning for weeks. The software stops some of it but not all of it.
What software are you using? I know there is 1 xenforo anti spam that has a country code blocker which would help bring down the number of spammers.

They never left.....I've been deleting hundreds of threads, nearly every morning for weeks. The software stops some of it but not all of it.
This is why we need the ‘THANKS’ button back - make sure you get all of those refurbs done though LSK!

@SparkyChick came up with a good idea in another post. Give some members the ability to temporarily stop the spammers from posting, until the mods can view the posts and see if they need removing.
This will help the mods with all the spam posts.
Not sure how easy this would be to set up.

@SparkyChick came up with a good idea in another post. Give some members the ability to temporarily stop the spammers from posting, until the mods can view the posts and see if they need removing.
This will help the mods with all the spam posts.
Not sure how easy this would be to set up.
Good idea, I’d be up for that as i have actually seen it happening some nights as I did this morning and could do nothing to stop it!

Good idea, I’d be up for that as i have actually seen it happening some nights as I did this morning and could do nothing to stop it!

We have all been there mate.. As I say, I don't know how easy it would be to do. Also the mods may not want any help with this.

I don't think there is any permissions with the software that would give the restricted access required. All you can do is to keep on reporting it and we will keep deleting....

Seeing it doesn't "follow" the rules of the site I jolly hope they have been given a damn good telling off like I was when I mentioned someones wife's singed cat...........

The scheme I proposed was based on members of The Arms and TA's reporting users. I know Xenforo has some built-in features around punishment and my theory was if a user is reported x-times, they get moved to a group that is effectively a moderator review/ban group that prevents them from posting.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of Xenforo but from a brief read of the admin manual I think it could be achieved with no customisation of the software itself, just use of existing configuration options.

The other thing I'd like to say... ignoring people helps in that you don't see the garbage, but it doesn't (at least not for me) stop their garbage posts filling up the new posts page results and stopping legitimate posts appearing which suggest to me the filtering is being done whilst displaying the results of the query and not within the query itself.

So in short, ignoring them serves no purpose as best as I can tell.

Reply to Looks like the Chinese are back......... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock