Discuss Low R2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi. I don't know if anyone can help or shed any light on this one.
I installed a new circuit in my sons garage. 2.5 T&E clipped direct, 4x metal clad sockets and back boxes.
I haven't terminated it into the CU yet as I need to get a RCBO.
I just got everything in place and did dead tests.

End to end L 0.21Ohm
N 0.21Ohm
E 0.02 Ohm

IR >1000 Mohm

There is nothing connected in the board so no parallel paths.
I had my yearly assesment today and I asked the assessor and he couldn't think of why it would be so low.
Any one any ideas?
Thanks

Hi. I don't know if anyone can help or shed any light on this one.
I installed a new circuit in my sons garage. 2.5 T&E clipped direct, 4x metal clad sockets and back boxes.
I haven't terminated it into the CU yet as I need to get a RCBO.
I just got everything in place and did dead tests.

End to end L 0.21Ohm
N 0.21Ohm
E 0.02 Ohm

IR >1000 Mohm

There is nothing connected in the board so no parallel paths.
I had my yearly assesment today and I asked the assessor and he couldn't think of why it would be so low.
Any one any ideas?
Thanks

Poor connection on your MFT?

Excuse me for silly suggestion (just a trainee) but no parallel paths like cable armouring (I know you said T+E, just trying to have a go at helping) :willy_nilly:

They haven't put in a 10mm CPC in the T+E have they?

Honestly this defies logic. You obviously have a ring on your r1 rn and so by rights your smaller CPC should be higher on r2.

All I can think of it start to break the ring down, it's only 4 sockets and test the cable from CU to Socket 1 and then Socket 1 to 2 and go round the ring

Thanks for the replies.
(Hightower) No parallel paths. End to end on drum, I will try that. It was a new 100Mt roll.
(Steve) It's a double garage, the CU is in the garage. so total ring about 15/20mts? They are fixed to a breeze block wall.
(malcolm) Will do, I will be going back there next week to finish off, so I will try that.

Thanks for the replies.
(Hightower) No parallel paths. End to end on drum, I will try that. It was a new 100Mt roll.
(Steve) It's a double garage, the CU is in the garage. so total ring about 15/20mts? They are fixed to a breeze block wall.
(malcolm) Will do, I will be going back there next week to finish off, so I will try that.
Metal sockets? if so remove the front plates from the back box and dis the fly lead (if you have one) and re test r2

Reply to Low R2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net