Discuss Magic gel in the cold? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not having used it before, I read magic gel doesn't set that well in the cold weather so any thoughts/advice welcome?

I am hoping to slightly improve on the professional job I found (as per the picture). I should mention that in fairness to the 'home improvement' person that did this wonderful piece of work (that they permanently left laying on the lawn), they did go to the time and effort in covering the connectors with a disposable rubber glove, and the amount of money they charged the homeowner for this this and other similar work would be enough for me and the Mrs to go on a decent holiday.

Magic gel in the cold? IMG_2781.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
A decent box would be better. Pratley boxes are good.

I am connecting a lawn light into both boxes (there is another box the same as the one in the picture), and 2 swa cable glands and a 20mm compression gland I thought would fit better in a wiska box as the prately box wouldn't seal the cable attached to the lawn lights.

I am connecting a lawn light into both boxes (there is another box the same as the one in the picture), and 2 swa cable glands and a 20mm compression gland I thought would fit better in a wiska box as the prately box wouldn't seal the cable attached to the lawn lights.
A 20mm stuffing gland will.

I am moving the connections underground, and just thought that the magic gel would be better as I have concerns that the 20mm compression gland wouldn't give the cable attached to the lawn light a perfect long term water tight seal underground?

A stuffing gland will be fine. That’s what it’s designed for.

Not having used it before, I read magic gel doesn't set that well in the cold weather so any thoughts/advice welcome?

I am hoping to slightly improve on the professional job I found (as per the picture). I should mention that in fairness to the 'home improvement' person that did this wonderful piece of work (that they permanently left laying on the lawn), they did go to the time and effort in covering the connectors with a disposable rubber glove, and the amount of money they charged the homeowner for this this and other similar work would be enough for me and the Mrs to go on a decent holiday.

View attachment 40173
What were they charged?

What were they charged?

I asked the homeowner what it cost him and he said he paid the home improvement guy "thousands." It's a massive house and garden and the guy did lots of other electrical work and it's all to a similar standard to his handy work in the picture (the list is very long).

I asked the homeowner what it cost him and he said he paid the home improvement guy "thousands." It's a massive house and garden and the guy did lots of other electrical work and it's all to a similar standard to his handy work in the picture (the list is very long).
Hope he learnt a lesson

You will have to let us know,what box/fittings you select,and what head of water,it is proof,to...:)

I would warn against making any promise to your customer,that your selected kit manufacturer,cannot match...

You will have to let us know,what box/fittings you select,and what head of water,it is proof,to...:)

I would warn against making any promise to your customer,that your selected kit manufacturer,cannot match...

I plan to use wiska 308 boxes and fill with magic gel.

I get the impression magic gel isn't very popular on here

With the right kit you shouldn't need magic gel. I don't have a problem with it and have used it a few times in the past if needed.

I plan to use wiska 308 boxes and fill with magic gel.

I get the impression magic gel isn't very popular on here

It does have it's place,but you will be relying on a chemical,and not a mechanical method,of providing resistance to hydraulic influences.

It is the reason we use a tapered,plastic fitting,and not jelly-on-a-chain,to stopper our sinks :)

Your customer may be making the rules,but if the junction fails,and it comes to light the method involved,is not approved by any of the items manufacturers...they will forget it was their idea :eek:

Why not put the connection in a suitable,approved weatherproof box,and suggest to your customer,a lawn ornament,maybe a gnome,and conceal it up it's........or wait for them to make another suggestion,and give them the gnome's job ;)

Reply to Magic gel in the cold? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock