Discuss Mapping BS761 to EAWR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
The team @ e5/SparkyNinja have recently done a webinar on mapping Chapter 13 (Fundamental Principles) to EAWR to enable contractors and clients alike understand how non-compliances of 7671 can lead to potential EAWR breaches. I was going to put this in Trainee's section but figured it has wider benefits and gets us thinking differently as a whole.

Part 1 can be found;

Part 2 goes live next week and you can sign-up for it on this link; SparkyNinja Webinars - https://sparkyninja.com/webinars

I've certainly got me thinking differently and makes me want to take it further.

You can find HSR25 here; The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 - HSR25 - https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/hsr25.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see how starting in Chapter 13 first helps build a stronger argument and put across the point without having to pull out X amount of regulations to convey the same (but you could do that in addition, just to fill that picture)

It's going to be hard tying EAWR regs to every 7671 reg but no doubt there are common ones that you could put EAWR regs to without much work.

It was very much part of training and the portfolio to be familiar with EAWR WEEEE ESQCR as the main statutes and working with regs in relation to them. I thought this was standard. I did the qualified supervisors course which is now withdrawn. I must say it has had an impact with how I work and think about approaching work. Of course H&S act, RIDDOR and the such also plays a large part as it is aspects of the same thing. It is easy to fall foul of H&S and is usually just as ferocious as any other statute governing safety. I mean things like disconnecting batteries from emergency gear before getting waste consigned properly. Flours disposal under WEEE and so on. You often have to tell the (esp. commercial) client the cost of this on refits to LED. Safety of public and visitors etc. It is a complex rubric of stats and regs we work in. Then there is the tools statute and keeping them maintained and to various standards. So a commercial manager allowed builders to put a door in a wall and in the process they sawed through a conduit with live wires in and the builder got a shock. I was not very popular when I told them I would have to report this as a near miss. It is complex when you take into account all the above and more. I think EAWR is just scratching the surface.

It was very much part of training and the portfolio to be familiar with EAWR WEEEE ESQCR as the main statutes and working with regs in relation to them. I thought this was standard. I did the qualified supervisors course which is now withdrawn. I must say it has had an impact with how I work and think about approaching work. Of course H&S act, RIDDOR and the such also plays a large part as it is aspects of the same thing. It is easy to fall foul of H&S and is usually just as ferocious as any other statute governing safety. I mean things like disconnecting batteries from emergency gear before getting waste consigned properly. Flours disposal under WEEE and so on. You often have to tell the (esp. commercial) client the cost of this on refits to LED. Safety of public and visitors etc. It is a complex rubric of stats and regs we work in. Then there is the tools statute and keeping them maintained and to various standards. So a commercial manager allowed builders to put a door in a wall and in the process they sawed through a conduit with live wires in and the builder got a shock. I was not very popular when I told them I would have to report this as a near miss. It is complex when you take into account all the above and more. I think EAWR is just scratching the surface.
Ill be honest, certainly in my experience, H&S elements of courses are often brushed over or given comparitly less time than other units as it's seen as 'the boring bit'.

I'm in thr unfortunate position of actually wanting to grasp and pick apart the hierarchy of controls, the statue framework and that like.

As an electrician we mainly deal with 7671 but not everyone knows about 7571 regs but they take notice when you start mentioning EAWR, HASAWA, Super 6 etc, I think having an understanding of tht big hitters is definitely something we should all have.

I just wish more was done with it/them in the usual courses; certainly this is the mapping EAWR to 7671 I've come across and amazed it hadn't been discussed earlier, hell C&G et all should add it to give students better understanding of how they relate and intertwine.

Well the course I did, did all of this and I assume courses do. I think what happens is people glaze over and don't bother to take on board the law part. Not surprisingly studying law is called a diet of ashes. Which aptly sums up the dryness of the matter and how unnatractive these aspects are. In commercial work usually managers are very switched on to H&S especially and statute generally as they have to be. The knock on effect is therefore they require contractors to be able to work in a manner which is consistent with the regulatory and statutory framework. Domestic work is different in that householders rarely have any awareness of that framework. That is where work can suffer in terms of lack of knowledge on the contractors part. So the lazy students can get away with very little knowledge of the framework. In my experience that wont happen commercially as you are being watched very carefully and don't get through the door in a proper organisation if you don't pass muster. Getting on site with a hawk eyed site manager means RAMS, PPE and proper workmanlike approach to installation. For instance we had the whole system designer on site going around like a whirlwind picking up on details of various electricians on site. The site manager mentioned my RAMS was among the few that did it properly as most people submitted a RAMS that just repeated the risk assessment as the method statement. How do you teach all that on a six weeker???

Reply to Mapping BS761 to EAWR in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net