Discuss Marine environment luminaires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Smugley

Hi, I've been asked to install wall lights to a decking area on a seafront property. The old lantern style ones having rusted considerably, however I am having a hard time sourcing decorative fittings suitable for a marine environment, such as 316 stainless. Any suggestions of a supplier/manufacturer much appreciated. Thanks.

Check out Fumagali lights. They are made of a UV stabilised resin material and should stand up to the elements. Various colours are available.

I did suggest plastic but the response was that they would look too cheap. There are lots of industrial looking plastic luminaires with good IP ratings, Absolutely everything corrodes in this environment, only metres from the sea and facing the SW wind. I guess I was looking for something more decorative but with the same robust sealing against the environment.

Thanks, I'll check out Fumagali and JCC catalogues!

Absolutely everything corrodes in this environment, only metres from the sea and facing the SW wind.

That's very true, ....I've seen plenty of these resin and other stabilised plastics, where the surfaces turn to dust in a matter of 2 or 3 years in such environments. Same goes for Aluminum fittings, once the paint starts cracking. There are good quality aluminum fittings mind, with pretty resistive/robust paint coverings, ...it's finding the good ones that's the problem, ...lol!!

Good quality stainless steel is the only real alternative for relatively long term stability. But tend to be on the Expensive side!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Marine grade stainless is a bitch to work with hence its price.

You could use class 1 fittings but power them via SELV, removing the need for earthing. The earth conductor (connected to the metal body of the fitting) could then be connected to a magnesium anode nearby - then the anode will rust and not the fitting. You just need to remember to replace the anode when it rusts away.

Reply to Marine environment luminaires in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock