Discuss megger 1720 for sale £200 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
only joking , got new tester and have to push test button to test, anyone know why?, as the other one tested on contact.

am i missing something

ipu, I have dedicated my 1000th post to you! Took me a while to get to four figures but here's to the next 1000! Haha!

My 1552 only auto tests, on contact, the earth loop, PFC and continuity. For RCD and IR I have to press the button.

Are you saying your old 1720 did and your new 1720 didn't? If so I cannae help you!

Last edited:
The 1720 could not be easier to set-up,and is one of the most intuitive,of the popular models out there. Some functions can be locked "on",and the parameters are all in the menu,just get used to the abbreviations...

I have a selection of MFTs,some in use,some just for fun...the Metrel is the most annoying,with a far too busy screen,and all coloured up like a 1950s' TV advert housewifes' dress :wacko:

From what I've seen on here they've been essential fashion items for several years now. I used one for a while and couldn't really see the advantages apart from reduced size and weight. Maybe the one I had was more skittish than average but the error codes due to 'supply noise' and other anomalies made me dislike it then it disappeared back to the agents for three weeks whilst it was sent for a firmware upgrade. I guess old habits also die hard or maybe old dogs don't like learning new tricks but I didn't get on with it. I eventually gave it to my last apprentice after he finished his time.

Last edited:
We had one of the first generation of fluke mfts, it consistently threw up random errors, erroneous results and spent a lot of time being repaired.
The Kewtech I've got now is also pretty good at throwing out odd errors and complaints of supply noise. It's also got a nice trick of changing its mind about what mode it is in occasionally.

I have used a megger one when subbing to a company which I quite liked as they have so good features, but I think I will go for separates if and when I need new test kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, you've just convinced me to stick with separates and I don't feel so left out and old fashioned now either :)

ipu, I have dedicated my 1000th post to you! Took me a while to get to four figures but here's to the next 1000! Haha!

My 1552 only auto tests, on contact, the earth loop, PFC and continuity. For RCD and IR I have to press the button.

Are you saying your old 1720 did and your new 1720 didn't? If so I cannae help you!
Now that's a coincidence as we reached 1000 post count roughly the same time! :)

It didn't take long for the old MFT v Separates debate to begin...bearing in mind that every other meter you have,in addition to a MFT,is a "separate".

...and if you have 4 MFTs',which one is a "separate"?

I would pay good money,for a MFT that had a larger variety of testing parameters,but quite obviously the makers have marketing reasons,not to include functions,which may obviate purchasing other measuring devices sold alongside.

A 1735,that included a larger range of resistance test currents,a full 0> DC range,capacitance,and a few more i could think of...now THAT,could have a lipstick face drawn on it,and be bought flowers...

We know they could easily do it,as we have computers in watches and space investigation craft,the size of a micro-chip :kiss:

Reply to megger 1720 for sale £200 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net