Discuss Metal CU in a commercial setting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wondering what people interpretations of the regs are regarding metal CU's in a commercial setting. I've seen some people code them C3 on an EICR and others say that the Metal CU's are just for domestic settings. I've read the regs and I think they could be read either way. Anyone any definitive thoughts?
Thanks.
Andy

They really can't. The Regulation is very clear. Under no circumstances could a commercial property be considered to be "domestic (household) premises".

Sorry, I wasn't saying that. Reg 421.1.201 talk about domestic having to be metal cu's then 421.1.6 seems to talk more generally about materials used for enclosures. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

When I've done commercial I've not coded it but I saw one from someone else who had put it as a C3 hence my question. Just want to make sure I had got it right and I'm not missing something.

Hi,
Just wondering what people interpretations of the regs are regarding metal CU's in a commercial setting. I've seen some people code them C3 on an EICR and others say that the Metal CU's are just for domestic settings. I've read the regs and I think they could be read either way. Anyone any definitive thoughts?
Thanks.
Andy
Completely disagree

It is absolutely clear, the regulation states "...Within Domestic (household) premises, consumer units and similar switchgear... ..enclosure manufactured from non-combustible material...." - How can this be read either way to apply to commercial?

I accept 421.1.6 says materials used shall be resistant to heat and fire, this is not the same as being non-combustible.

I just laugh and walk away, I find its best rather than argue with people...

the regulation about metal CUs in domestics bears no relevance to commercial installs.

there is no regulation specifying which type should be installed in commercial situations, so either metal or insulated boards comply, providing correct installation procedures are followed.

I accept 421.1.6 says materials used shall be resistant to heat and fire, this is not the same as being non-combustible.
Basically means BSEN enclosures as they are tested etc not a mcdondalds wrapper for a junction box

Hi,
Thanks.
Andy
Interesting question with every one working from home. If you work from home is that then a commercial environment. It maybe someone registered business address like a sparky

It's a dwelling.
It can't be a Commercial environment, the Dwelling won't have planning permission for commercial use.
It won't have a commercial mortgage.
It won't be insured as commercial.

Ermmmmm............ wtf??! Frankly anyone seriously needing to explore this question should consider retraining.

Ermmmmm............ wtf??! Frankly anyone seriously needing to explore this question should consider retraining.
Care homes, hospitals, prisons, hotels, flats over shops, shops under homes, etc.
Domestic, residential, homeowner, buy to let, social, private accommedation.
Public stairwells, communal areas, etc
I agree I nolonger understand the law but where is the advice/training the IET ?

Reply to Metal CU in a commercial setting in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock