Discuss Metal saddles for communal areas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
hi guys

So I'm tasked with replacing plastic saddles in communal areas.

App D in the OSG says saddles can have a max spacing of 1.5m apart. I know from past experiences that any conduit passing over must have a metal saddle in place.
So was wondering will it be OK to replace the plastic saddles for metal saddles at just under 1.5m or is there any other measurements I have to know of?

Please no "replace them all" as we have over 26 4 story blocks of flats to do within a very short space of time.

Cheers guys

If you've been tasked then I would ask what spec they want. The reg to prevent premature collapse is open to interpretation so I would get clear instruction as to what they want after discussing with them the best option.

If you've been tasked then I would ask what spec they want. The reg to prevent premature collapse is open to interpretation so I would get clear instruction as to what they want after discussing with them the best option.

The spec was Once you have done the communal periodic ensure that you change some saddles for metal ones. They don't wanna spend a fortune (we are social housing) and they want me to get it done as quick as possible so I'm just wondering how many or what spacing I should follow to do this

The spec was Once you have done the communal periodic ensure that you change some saddles for metal ones. They don't wanna spend a fortune (we are social housing) and they want me to get it done as quick as possible so I'm just wondering how many or what spacing I should follow to do this

That's what I'm saying, you should get clarification on the spacing or they will be within their rights to either have you back to add more, or refuse to pay as you've added too many.
Personally I would replace every other saddle or maybe even every third saddle for metal depending on the current spacing. I think your suggestion of 1.5m sounds sensible to fulfil the regs.

Reply to Metal saddles for communal areas in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net