Discuss meter buzzing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have an old rotating disc meter, certification label says 1994.

The consensus seems to have been that there's no need to upgrade it to a smart meter.

I have noticed however that when power draw is very low, it buzzes or growls noticeably, while the wheel is moving extremely slowly

When power usage is higher, like the kettle is on and the wheel is doing a few rpm it's silent.

Is this normal?

That type of meter should emit no noticeable sound. They are generally extremely durable so it is possible there is a lose connection so maybe it should be checked out.

That type of meter should emit no noticeable sound. They are generally extremely durable so it is possible there is a lose connection so maybe it should be checked out.
well British Gas have said they'll charge quite a lot to repair/replace one of these, but nothing to upgrade to smart meter, so I guess I'm forced to upgrade.

You could get an electrician in and although they can't tamper with the meter they may see if the cause is a lose connection.

I would get it checked out.

It’s the suppliers equipment.. they should replace it for free if it’s faulty or not installed correctly. (Loose connections)

I had one the same recently on a board change. Used the service isolator, and when no power was on, the meter stopped moving and started buzzing. Not loud, just annoying in a small enclosed space.

Light taps on the side was enough to stop it.
I thought it was more something loose in the internal mechanics rather than the terminals.

One of my own meters does this occasionally*, and has done for years. It's just a 50Hz buzz from something vibrating inside - like an old transformer, when the laminations come loose.

*Meter was moved from indoors to a box about 40m away around nine years ago. I assume it still does.

I have an old rotating disc meter, certification label says 1994.

The consensus seems to have been that there's no need to upgrade it to a smart meter.

I have noticed however that when power draw is very low, it buzzes or growls noticeably, while the wheel is moving extremely slowly

When power usage is higher, like the kettle is on and the wheel is doing a few rpm it's silent.

Is this normal?
You need to call your local power company and ask for a smart meter. The buzzing noise could be the stabs in the meter have become loose and wore out.

We don't. Our meters aren't plug in, they're hard wired, and occasionally you may come across one where all four terminals are tightened properly.

I think if you were to dismantle the old spinning disc type meters you might find that it is a base plate with terminals, and the meter “plus in” ( then sealed)

Or am I thinking of old style timeclocks?

I’m sure someone more ancient, I mean experienced, than I could confirm.

That's some types of the old time switches. These were relatively unreliable compared with the meters, so probably plug in for ease of exchange.

Reply to meter buzzing in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net