Discuss Meter Tails in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MADTESTER

Hello All
Coming back to domestic market as being make repugnant from permanent industrial maintence employment

Have done 17th Edition and have booked myself on to 2391.

My first question is can you cut the seal on the Boards main fuse and change the tails
In the old days (I am no youngster) You had to book an appointment for them to disconnect and reconnect.

My Second question is there any way to become registered to cut and seal as their is some confusion as to where you can or cant.

Yes, I always cut the seals and then my company sort it out afterwards. If I am doing private work then I just cut away. Itis surprising how many main cut outs I come across which have seals already cut. Ultimately, safe isolation is key and to change the tails you need to cut the seals to ensure safe isolation.

Me too, no choice really, unless you're really lucky and there's a new meter with an isolator in it. I also fit a temporary plastic seal that you can get from wholesalers. Gives a good impression to the DNO if they ever see it?!

If you break the seals legaly you break the law.

Technically you have to make an appointment with the Supplier (in our case Western Power Distribution) to send some body around to install a 100amp DP Isolator Switch.

They usually charge £35 or £40 which worth every penny. The only problem is, they are not that fast for private works and usually take them around 10 days to 2 weeks to come around. But if you are a contractor which has 4 to 5 jobs a day like us and it is an ongoing contract, then they allocate a guy to do your jobs evry day.

If you break the seals legaly you break the law.

Technically you have to make an appointment with the Supplier (in our case Western Power Distribution) to send some body around to install a 100amp DP Isolator Switch.

They usually charge £35 or £40 which worth every penny. The only problem is, they are not that fast for private works and usually take them around 10 days to 2 weeks to come around. But if you are a contractor which has 4 to 5 jobs a day like us and it is an ongoing contract, then they allocate a guy to do your jobs evry day.

Hi darius ,where have you been ,on holiday ?

and yes you are quite right ,they should be notified,i know people who have got done in the past .the only way around it is to just do it live ,then they dont know!

Hi darius ,where have you been ,on holiday ?

and yes you are quite right ,they should be notified,i know people who have got done in the past .the only way around it is to just do it live ,then they dont know!

Thanks Rum for asking. No actually my wife has been unwell and she still is. She had a MRI scan of her brain last week and we are still waiting for the result. She is very very scared and I don't know what to do to stop her crying. She is fearing the worst.

Anyway going back to the thread, I don't think it is such a safe idea to work live. Don't let HSE people hear you saying that. And if you working for your own then don't your insurance company hear it.

Hi darius,
Im sorry to hear about your wife mate,its very sad.

as for working live ,theres not much risk .if your careful ,i think it should be left to the individual ,the HSE just wants to be big brother ,my attitude is just get the job done.
as long as i feel safe im ok ,i wouldnt ask anyone else to do something they wernt happy with,it doesnt bother me.getting done for breaking a seal would! and if i could save a few pound by just doing it ,then sod it.

Hi darius,
Im sorry to hear about your wife mate,its very sad.

as for working live ,theres not much risk .if your careful ,i think it should be left to the individual ,the HSE just wants to be big brother ,my attitude is just get the job done.
as long as i feel safe im ok ,i wouldnt ask anyone else to do something they wernt happy with,it doesnt bother me.getting done for breaking a seal would! and if i could save a few pound by just doing it ,then sod it.

OK Champ. But make sure you always carry a spare 80 or 100 amp fuse with you.

By the way on the subject of tails, what should be the the csa of meter tails and where can find this information.

The reason I am asking is Western Power Distribution uses 16mm but our company insists we should use 25mm? Try to get those F*****s in the box?

Hello

Thank you very much for your replies and comments. Appears to be very little has changed then. My next question is how much are you fined for cutting and pulling main cut out then.

By the way on the subject of tails, what should be the the csa of meter tails and where can find this information.

The reason I am asking is Western Power Distribution uses 16mm but our company insists we should use 25mm? Try to get those F*****s in the box?

Darius ,im not on a suicide mission, i would put them in the box before i put it on the wall ! and not connect the earth!, so why would i need a fuse? i always tape the ends up and try not to touch them together:) i do carry a spare ,anyway ,just because i do,but not for that reason:)

I always use 25mm tails ,have done for years ,im sure the infos in the regs book someware ,but i thought 25mm was the norm nowadays,unless its over 100A

As for getting fined ,i think ,say think ,they have to prove you did it to obtain electricity dishonestly,i also think they are able to claim the amount they would charge if you did notify them ,and also the cost of the precedings against you:mad:

its a nightmare,for people like me ,who only do cash jobs and dont bother with paper work ,labc or test certs, all it achives is money for them ,sod that ill stick to my way ,getting the job done is more important than all that rubbish;)

Last edited by a moderator:

the info is in the regs

25mm clipped direct is about 118A, so it conforms with Ib In Iz for a 100A incoming fuse

Darius ,im not on a suicide mission, i would put them in the box before i put it on the wall ! and not connect the earth!, so why would i need a fuse? i always tape the ends up and try not to touch them together:) i do carry a spare ,anyway ,just because i do,but not for that reason:)

I always use 25mm tails ,have done for years ,im sure the infos in the regs book someware ,but i thought 25mm was the norm nowadays,unless its over 100A

As for getting fined ,i think ,say think ,they have to prove you did it to obtain electricity dishonestly,i also think they are able to claim the amount they would charge if you did notify them ,and also the cost of the precedings against you:mad:

its a nightmare,for people like me ,who only do cash jobs and dont bother with paper work ,labc or test certs, all it achives is money for them ,sod that ill stick to my way ,getting the job done is more important than all that rubbish;)

but you are not 'getting the job done' are you Rum?

presumably because you dont do test certs, then you dont test either? then how do you know the installation is safe?

is Dobbin outside waiting for you to get your spurs on?

the info is in the regs

25mm clipped direct is about 118A, so it conforms with Ib In Iz for a 100A incoming fuse

but you are not 'getting the job done' are you Rum?

presumably because you dont do test certs, then you dont test either? then how do you know the installation is safe?

is Dobbin outside waiting for you to get your spurs on?

Yeah your quite right shakey ,im not qualified to test and inspect anymore, so i cant do the job right,
i dont do hardly any domestic work and what little i do do ,isnt worth a light really ,so i think the time has come to hang up my spurs,at least on the domestic front and put old dobin out to grass:)

There is more chance of winning the lottery than getting done for cutting seals. You have to be caught in the act and let's face it, that ain't gonna happen.
As for the size of the tails, I ALWAYS use 25mm and a 16mm earth, unless I am installing a TT system and I use 10mm earth.

Yeah your quite right shakey ,im not qualified to test and inspect anymore, so i cant do the job right,
i dont do hardly any domestic work and what little i do do ,isnt worth a light really ,so i think the time has come to hang up my spurs,at least on the domestic front and put old dobin out to grass:)

Rum, you dont need to be qualified to test and inspect, you need to be competent.

And I dont think competence is something you 'lose', you either know how to do the job or you dont

And domstic has nothing to do with it, any installation work you do should be tested and certified, regardless of being commercial, industrial or domestic

But you know that allready dont you;)

Rum, you dont need to be qualified to test and inspect, you need to be competent.

And I dont think competence is something you 'lose', you either know how to do the job or you dont

And domstic has nothing to do with it, any installation work you do should be tested and certified, regardless of being commercial, industrial or domestic

But you know that allready dont you;)

Yeah,
The agency i mostly work for only uses JIB sparks and theres always someone happy to do the testing stuff,the only time i do anything which i myself need to test is if i do a cash job for someone. i know a young guy whos doing his stuff now, so i might pass on all my extras to him and give him a hand from time to time,he can have the burecratic hastle ,ill just get him the work.

As for being compitent ,i might have trouble proving it in court,because i didnt finish the 16 edition course, so i need to be carefull,;)

Some body from WPD told me (I have not checked it yet) that within 1metre length of your meter you can use 16mm.

But thanks for all that anyway

I Allways Cut The Seal On Bottom Of Cut Out And Do It Live That Way ,never Had A Problem Yet.for A 100a Supply 25mm Tails Is The Norm.

Yeah,
The agency i mostly work for only uses JIB sparks and theres always someone happy to do the testing stuff,the only time i do anything which i myself need to test is if i do a cash job for someone. i know a young guy whos doing his stuff now, so i might pass on all my extras to him and give him a hand from time to time,he can have the burecratic hastle ,ill just get him the work.

As for being compitent ,i might have trouble proving it in court,because i didnt finish the 16 edition course, so i need to be carefull,;)

Yes Rum, but remember, if you were in court, you would not be proving competence against any edition of the regs, but against the EAWR's, and you would have to break them for that to happen

Just because you dont hold a regs qual, doesnt mean you are not competent or unsafe;)

Reply to Meter Tails in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock