Discuss Meter Tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chloebear

Hi All,
I have a requirement to reposition a Consumer unit which will involve running new meter tails. The ne CU will be approx 50ft from the meter and may have to run part of the way external to the building at a height of 7ft. Do I have to use SWA to run the new distribution cable or can I use 25mm meter tails if they are enclosed in protective covering?

I would run it in 3 core SWA.Would be a lot easier to pull it over that distance as well.Where it is externally exposed at 7ft,i'd try and put some protection over it:ie steel capping:)

If there is no requirement for RCD protection to the tails then you can use this:

Meter Tails {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Much easier to install than 3 core 25mm SWA!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there guys. Just so you all know meter tails cannot exceed 2m so for this reason you will have to install a seperate switched fuse rated at 60amps, 80amps or what ever and then run the appropiate sub main, correctly sized for the rating of the switched fuse used, voltage drop and external influences. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there guys. Just so you all know meter tails cannot exceed 2m so for this reason you will have to install a seperate switched fuse rated at 60amps, 80amps or what ever and then run the appropiate sub main, correctly sized for the rating of the switched fuse used, voltage drop and external influences. Hope this helps.

Just to correct you its over 3m not 2m that you need to install a main switched fuse. The good old 3meter rule.;)

Just to correct you its over 3m not 2m that you need to install a main switched fuse. The good old 3meter rule.;)

Some DNO's insist on 2.

Rule of thumb is if the meter is outside its 4 meters, and if its inside its 3 meter maximum before a switch fuse needs to be installed.

Jason

I'm happy to be proved wrong on this, but I allways understood that you could not use concentric cable. Certainly in domestic installations.

That was certainly the case when I qualified, but I know things can change.

Perfectly ok to use split con, have done many times.

I have just used it on a bungalow rewire.

As long as it is installed etc as you would t&e as it has no mechanical protection, then its no different.

I'm sure you'r right Jason.

This is just something I was told as an apprentice (a long long time ago) and has stayed with me ever since.

It probably refers to using the concentric earth as a pen conduct like the supply authority do.

I'm sure you'r right Jason.

This is just something I was told as an apprentice (a long long time ago) and has stayed with me ever since.

It probably refers to using the concentric earth as a pen conduct like the supply authority do.

Yes you are correct.

We are NOT permitted to use straight concentric like the DNO use.:)

Reply to Meter Tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock