Discuss Metrel Firmware Upgrade in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hightower

Just created a quick tutorial for upgrading the firmware on a Metrel MFT so that it has the AMD3 figures installed. There'll be no awards for production quality of the video, but hopefully it will get you sorted.

Also, I have a serial-USB adapter to do this with (obviously) - if you don't want to pay £3 to buy one for yourself, pop me a message on here and I'll be willing to post you mine on a loan basis on the proviso you post it back as soon as you're done.

[video=youtube;bMV4jotsmA0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMV4jotsmA0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

DISCLAIMER: This process is low level and any mistakes could potentially brick the MFT. It is a fair straight forward process with these instructions, but just know that you try this at your own risk.

Good luck.

Haven't mentioned in the video that you will only need the USB->Serial adapter if you have a fairly modern PC. Older PCs tend to have serial ports, and some older laptops do too, so have a check before you spend your £3 on an adapter you might not need.

Quite miffed with Metrel at the mo because although not the end of the world but our MI3101 was supposed to be future proof by allowing firmware upgrades for free for any future reg changes, but this model has proved difficult for Metrel so the AMD3 firmware upgrade wont be available for it. It's not as if it was cheap either, I think it cost the company around £1000 when purchased with the EASI switch accessory. :(

Last edited:
I just phoned them this morning:

Me: "Hi, looking to upgrade the firmware on my MI3000"
Them: "Hold the line"
Them: "I've just spoken to my manager and you would have to send the unit to us. It can be a risky procedure and we don't allow anyone to do it"
Me: "Really? It says in black and white on your website that this (and other testers) will require a firmware update out of the box"
T: "Yes, but we have to do it?"
M: "But it actually says that I can do it."
T: "No, we don't release the firmware to do it at home."
M: "Funny, because I already have the firmware, I downloaded it from your site quite easily."
T: "No, we don't release the firmware."
M: "You do, because I have it. Look, I'm not wanting you to send me the firmware. I just want the instructions - the link on your website (under the firmware download link) is broken. Can you send them to me?"
T: "No you will have to send the unit to us. We will do it for free."
M: "It's a brand new unit, I only got it yesterday. I'm not paying a courier to take it to you when I can do it myself and even your website states this."
T: "No, you'll have to.."
M: *HANGS UP*

So I open a chat with Test Meter (forum sponsor who I got it off) and Joe was like "ping Steve an email" so I did that and an hour later I had the instructions. Decided to make a video of it to try and help anyone else with the same headache. It is a 5 minute job and there's no need to be sending machines away for a quick upgrade (different matter if you are getting it calibrated at the same time though, that's fair enough).

On a slightly related note, Test Meter (forum sponsor). Best price I could find, wicked free gift, and customer service to boot. I ordered a different meter at first and then had a last minute change of heart - not an issue, Chris had it sorted in a crack. Then Joe and Steve today, that's exactly how customer service should be. Can't rate them highly enough.

Thanks for that.....really useful information, do the instructions say which models it is applicable to?
(Mine is the Metrel MI3100 Eurotest EASI) It's the same shape and layout as yours, just a different colour buttons, so I expect it's the same mainboard and firmware.
But it would be nice to know (for peace of mind) before I press the "start button" :)

Thanks for that.....really useful information, do the instructions say which models it is applicable to?
(Mine is the Metrel MI3100 Eurotest EASI) It's the same shape and layout as yours, just a different colour buttons, so I expect it's the same mainboard and firmware.
But it would be nice to know (for peace of mind) before I press the "start button" :)

I don't think it's the same firmware, although the process is the same. If you click the link on post #3, and fill out the form making sure to select your machine in the list, you will get the right firmware. The reason I don't think they are the same is because the MI3000 latest version is 1.27 where as your machine seems to be 1.28.

I think the difference between the MI3000 and the MI3100 is the MI3100 does Earth Resistance Test - putting on MI3000 firmware could brick the unit, or at the very least remove the ERT functionality so I would double check you download the right file.

Thanks - I've downloaded the correct version for my tester (V1.28), but like you found the link to the manual/instructions doesn't work. I've checked the original manual and that doesn't mention the firmware upgrade procedure.

Thanks - I've downloaded the correct version for my tester (V1.28), but like you found the link to the manual/instructions doesn't work. I've checked the original manual and that doesn't mention the firmware upgrade procedure.
I think the instructions are the same file hence why yours is a broken link too, but my video should work provided you have the right firmware file.

I don't know if I dare. I bought my metrel on the understanding that it was not upgradable and I was fine with that. A bricked tester would be a lot of cost to replace for me.

I had a "chat" with Metrel at Elex Sandown Park.

Even though they have relocated their sales office to Surrey they have no plans to have any service people down "south" nor do they plan to all any "authorised" dealers to do upgrades and repairs. They think we can all send our products in for 2 weeks at a time! This is simply not an option for me as I'm SE and can't be without my tester for 1 week, let alone 2!

When my Metrel needs replacing I will be looking for a more flexible "company".

I had a "chat" with Metrel at Elex Sandown Park.

Even though they have relocated their sales office to Surrey they have no plans to have any service people down "south" nor do they plan to all any "authorised" dealers to do upgrades and repairs. They think we can all send our products in for 2 weeks at a time! This is simply not an option for me as I'm SE and can't be without my tester for 1 week, let alone 2!

When my Metrel needs replacing I will be looking for a more flexible "company".

I'm not sure they are even as cheap as they used to be anymore in comparison to others. That was a major selling point for me.

I'm not sure they are even as cheap as they used to be anymore in comparison to others. That was a major selling point for me.

These manufacturers think they have you by the goolies and you will pay their high costs.... I was quite impressed by the conversation I had with the Kewtech guys.........

Reply to Metrel Firmware Upgrade in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net