Discuss Microwave HVC replacement... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have a commercial Panasonic Microwave that still sells at around £550 so I would like to fix it if possible.

The HVC has died and I'm struggling to find a replacement.
The cap is 2300vac and 1.14uf.

Now I'm no proffesional so I approach everything with major caution.
The closest match I can find is a 2300vac 1.25µF. Would this be ok to use?

Any and all advice welcome Pls.
Cheers, Tom
EDIT...
One last thing, I've just seen It's sold out :tearsofjoy:.
Is there any leeway in this, the voltage is critical but can the uF have a tolerence?

Last edited:
If you do happen to change it then make sure it is fully discharged first. In fact I would keep a shorting link across it to be on the safe side.

I would try to get an exact replacement intended for the particular oven, if possible. I can see a 1.14uF / 2300V MICROWAVE CAPACITOR PANASONIC NE2146 for sale online, for example, I don't know if this is the part or not.

These capacitors often have an internal discharge resistor to keep them discharged, but I would check.

Microwaves can be dangerous , best leave it to the professionals.
I know how dangerous a microwave can be be.
I was looking for more constructive information opposed to the usual lectures.
Thanks for the advice.
[automerge]1580202540[/automerge]
If you do happen to change it then make sure it is fully discharged first. In fact I would keep a shorting link across it to be on the safe side.
I have already taken it out and all necessary precautions were taken. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Much appreciated. :handok:
[automerge]1580203985[/automerge]
I would try to get an exact replacement intended for the particular oven, if possible. I can see a 1.14uF / 2300V MICROWAVE CAPACITOR PANASONIC NE2146 for sale online, for example, I don't know if this is the part or not.

These capacitors often have an internal discharge resistor to keep them discharged, but I would check.
Thank you SJD,
Yes I think that is the route I will take if my patience runs out.
I am in no hurry so I think I will wait for the exact match or as you suggested get a replacement form a donor machine.

I would like to get this done for around £30 as opposed to the £60+ that I have seen coming from outside the UK etc. By the time I pay post and packaging for a second hand machine it may knock the price up beyond what I was hoping, but if worst comes to worst I will do this. I give it a few weeks and see what results I get online.

In answer to my initial question I have found that it is possible to go + or - 0.05 of the Uf of the original part.
Thank you for your information, I'm now off to view the second hand machine you speak of.
Much appreciated SJD :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Capacitance values in a voltage doubling circuit are usually pretty nominal, using a cap that's rated to within 10% of the original should be fine. The voltage rating of the cap is far more important. I'd say chances are high it will work fine.

It's very rare for the capacitor (or doide for that matter) in a microwave magnetron drive circuit to fail, it's almost always the magnetron that fails. With this in mind I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually a failing magnetron that caused damage to the cap in the first place.

Reply to Microwave HVC replacement... in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net