Discuss minding my own business in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wattsup

Just having a pint in the local, finished early about 2pm...landlord is having new glass washer fixed. 30a supply, double pole switch under sink...anyhow the guy gets finished and goes. Landlord says just have a look at this please it don't look right...switch swivels like a catherine wheel, one screw and thats not tight. Incoming supply 6mm t&e is a tangled web, all located beneath a leaky sink, fed from rewirable fuse in cellar

Anyhow he says is that ok?
Err nope not really.
Why?
I would have used an rcd and tidied the mains in, and located in cupboard adjacent sink.

To be perfectly honest not sure if the rcd is totally needed (cant spell neccarsary) but I would not have fitted without, my feeling is, if unsure err on the safer side, that's by the by.

So then the onus is on me, when he says, 'is it safe, can staff use ..

I'm thinking **** me I only called for pint, err, I'm not going to say its safe and i'm not going to say it is unsafe, but it doesn't look ok to me as a visual inspection, I'm not going to disconect and check connections etc... or I will be the fall guy if all goes ape****, all i will say it should not have been left like that.

I asked what he actually paid for, he said supply and fix of glass washer, 2 grand (it was a replacement unit, exisiting supply used etc) So I guess the former glass washer was potentionally just as bad

Oh! err nope it is not safe to present day standards, nor is it safe to 10 years ago standards

Ok he says how much to do it properly

I don't know off the top of my head, but it will more than £100 perhaps £150/£180...maybe more if you want 32a plug on the washer and rcd socket..

Oh no he says, I'm on the phone to them, I'm gonna stop the check I just paid, unless they come back and sort it...friggin hell it always happens to me.

I can imagine the company concerned ...a pesky local bar-room electrician know-it-all...

What did he expect me to say? yeah thats ok, no problem..

its time to find a new local,forums running right now
Yeah some jobs are best left alone ,i turned down a shower job the other week ,there was already one wired in and it was on a 40a rewireable ,i said no way ,and the guy said why dont you know how to do it ,it was for his 86 year old granny,whos loaded and on her last legs ,like i say sometimes it pays to know sweet fa
some twit did fit a new shower ,i think the plumber did it himself ,but the guy wouldnt tell me :eek:

I tend to be honest if asked, but not volunteer it. Don't you just hate it when somebody wants to drag you into a long conversation about why their RCD tripped once, five years back!

I tend to keep my trade "quiet'.... too much time wasted "giving advice" !

waste of time giving advise ,these days everyone thinks your overcomplicating the job just to get a bit extra ,the only thing i give now is a quote ,no advise just the price;)

yep I agree, but I was asked 'spotballed' nope the job is **** and dodgy all i said. A spark did not install btw, (just been informed) I knew/presumed it was not.

The company concerned are going to contact me tomorrow..I don't want this ****, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

rcd's are pain in the --- pesky tripping, lamp blows, knocks the whole house off sometimes. And it's my fault because it was always ok 'before'. Since split load dis boards came in not so much problems, but friggin mcb's trip the whole circuit when a lamp blows sometimes...mem mcb's i will not use no more, a real pain. As usual the country h&s has gone barking mad

Anyone got any chisels/saws etc for sale may go making furniture ;-

Last edited by a moderator:
yep I agree, but I was asked 'spotballed' nope the job is **** and dodgy all i said. A spark did not install btw, (just been informed) I knew/presumed it was not.

The company concerned are going to contact me tomorrow..I don't want this ****, just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

rcd's are pain in the --- pesky tripping, lamp blows, knocks the whole house off sometimes. And it's my fault because it was always ok 'before'. Since split load dis boards came in not so much problems, but friggin mcb's trip the whole circuit when a lamp blows sometimes...mem mcb's i will not use no more, a real pain. As usual the country h&s has gone barking mad

Anyone got any chisels/saws etc for sale may go making furniture ;-

When the company contact you ,tell them to hang on while you get them an order number ,make then wait 45 seconds and then say "right it works out at 61.50 at the moment" who do i send the invoice to ,if you want a full quote it will be another 41,do you wish to proceed;)

think about the figures;)

When the company contact you ,tell them to hang on while you get them an order number ,make then wait 45 seconds and then say "right it works out at 61.50 at the moment" who do i send the invoice to ,if you want a full quote it will be another 41,do you wish to proceed;)

think about the figures;)

Err, I dont get the figures reference, go on explain it to the sp*z

Reply to minding my own business in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock