Discuss Minor electrics for shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
At my board everything is RCD protected.

I have built a shed off the side of the house, I was going to drill through into the house in order to supply my shed with a socket and some lights.

I'm not bothered about effort/mess/cost here - purely whatever is safest, so a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Once I've drilled through into the house, I only have fused spurs available - can I spur off a spur? I'm under the impression this is safe since, essentially, I'm only adding more fuses - so it can only be too protected!? But I want to make sure of this.

2. As I mentioned, I will want to supply a socket in the shed, but I also want to supply lights. Does this mean (inside the house) there should be my new fused spur, then another fused spur (a lesser amp for the lights? 3amp?) and run 2 separate cables out to the shed? Or shall I deal with the fused spurs outside and just pull the supply through for now?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: A bit more info as to why only fused spurs are available, where I need to drill is into the back of a studded out chimney breast/media wall type thing - the sockets are elsewhere in the house, the supply to the TV etc. are from fused spurs.

Last edited:
When it's a fused spur, there is no theoretic limit to the number of circuits that can be fed from the fused output, as long as the expected maximum total load is below the fuse you have (usually 13A). It's an unfused spur that you can't spur off again from.

As long as you aren't going to be running any significant load on a constant basis in the shed, then there should be no issues with extending from the fused spur you have in the house.

I would take a single cable into the shed to feed a socket, then fit a further switched fused spur with a 3A fuse in the shed, which feeds the light.

I'm assuming it's a wooden framed shed with no metal pipework or other pipework, or metallic framing contacting ground, in there?

If not there are possible issues with bonding to be considered which get more complicated.

When it's a fused spur, there is no theoretic limit to the number of circuits that can be fed from the fused output, as long as the expected maximum total load is below the fuse you have (usually 13A). It's an unfused spur that you can't spur off again from.

As long as you aren't going to be running any significant load on a constant basis in the shed, then there should be no issues with extending from the fused spur you have in the house.

I would take a single cable into the shed to feed a socket, then fit a further switched fused spur with a 3A fuse in the shed, which feeds the light.

I'm assuming it's a wooden framed shed with no metal pipework or other pipework, or metallic framing contacting ground, in there?

If not there are possible issues with bonding to be considered which get more complicated.

Thanks very much! Yes correct, no metal work in there. That's a massive help, I'll get to work!

Reply to Minor electrics for shed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net