Discuss Mobile forum viewing ... spams and scams in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy78

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
For over 6 months now, when viewing the forum on my mobile and waiting for a page to load, it occasionally loads up spam pages. These pages will not let me navigate back to the forum site, will make my phone vibrate, and constantly release a stream of pop ups. What's the deal ?

Mobile forum viewing ... spams and scams 2018-01-09 08.19.42 - EletriciansForums.net

Mobile forum viewing ... spams and scams 2018-01-09 08.19.34 - EletriciansForums.net

Mobile forum viewing ... spams and scams 2018-01-09 08.19.23 - EletriciansForums.net

thankfully not seen this on ios!

I've not experienced it on my Android device either, but I don't do a lot of surfing of the site with my phone.

But there are quite a few ways to achieve redirection in a web browser and many of them don't involve the site that appears to originate the redirection.

SC .. Nope I have only seen this whilst waiting for a page to load on this forum.
The forum takes ages to load on my phone, much slower than any other website, and as it loads parts of the webpages shuffle about as the individual elements load up. My theory is that I'm inadvertently touching an advert that has loaded its capacity to link but not an image. Are there any ads on here that could do this ?

SC .. Nope I have only seen this whilst waiting for a page to load on this forum.
The forum takes ages to load on my phone, much slower than any other website, and as it loads parts of the webpages shuffle about as the individual elements load up. My theory is that I'm inadvertently touching an advert that has loaded its capacity to link but not an image. Are there any ads on here that could do this ?

I can't say for certain, but many of the ads I see vary depending on recent searches/other web activity (at the moment, I'm getting a lot of RS ads featuring Labnations SmartScope and relays :) ).

In terms of your phone doing this... see if you can spot a pattern when it does it... when you are using your mobile data, connected to a public WiFi hotspot or your home WiFi?

If it only does it when you're connected to a public WiFi hotspot, it could be the DNS provision on that hotspot has been hijacked to redirect you to malicious sites.

I can't say for certain, but many of the ads I see vary depending on recent searches/other web activity (at the moment, I'm getting a lot of RS ads featuring Labnations SmartScope and relays :) ).

In terms of your phone doing this... see if you can spot a pattern when it does it... when you are using your mobile data, connected to a public WiFi hotspot or your home WiFi?

If it only does it when you're connected to a public WiFi hotspot, it could be the DNS provision on that hotspot has been hijacked to redirect you to malicious sites.

Home wifi or mobile data, has done it on both

Do you have enough space to try another browser (from play store)
"One of my Galaxy Apps later announced it was Pirated"
..incase of browser re-direct..

Do you have enough space to try another browser (from play store)
"One of my Galaxy Apps later announced it was Pirated"
..incase of browser re-direct..

I don't, it's a 5 year old phone so doesn't usually take updates now.

I'm using the standard chrome browser.

It has only ever happened whilst using this site and under the specific circumstances mentioned...... odd

Last edited:
For over 6 months now, when viewing the forum on my mobile and waiting for a page to load, it occasionally loads up spam pages. These pages will not let me navigate back to the forum site, will make my phone vibrate, and constantly release a stream of pop ups.

I've been getting these too. Samsung S8+.
Only option is to close web page. Chrome. Was using Firefox, but it got sooooo slow I uninstalled it. Didn't get the problem on Firefox though.

I've been getting these too. Samsung S8+.
Only option is to close web page. Chrome. Was using Firefox, but it got sooooo slow I uninstalled it. Didn't get the problem on Firefox though.
Was it specific to viewing this forum or did it happen at other times too ?

I feel so left out...what's an app? I've got a windows phone! Mugger who grabbed it off me at the bus station returned it 2 minutes later, with a look of sympathy/scorn on his face...

I feel so left out...what's an app? I've got a windows phone! Mugger who grabbed it off me at the bus station returned it 2 minutes later, with a look of sympathy/scorn on his face...
I had one as a work phone, never let me down and was gutted when forced to change to Android.

To be fair Strima it's a great phone for the stuff I need...like phoning and texting...and the battery lasts for ages between charges, but apart from the spirit level and torch apps (very useful) there just aren't that many apps that I personally would like, and that users of other systems can get. Still, I should be working, not fooling around...
Oh, the built-in satnav is absolutely brilliant...I'd forgotten that!
(Sorry, going a bit off-topic here)

This isn't a forum thing. Your mobile browser needs erasing and reinstalling. Possibly run an anti-virus on it to clear anything out. You've been looking at too many dodgy websites lol

But it's nothing to do with the forum that's for sure.

Reply to Mobile forum viewing ... spams and scams in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock