Discuss Mobile Homes - routing cables etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I would appreciate some advice please...I have been asked to install an external light and a new socket in a customers mobile home (a Carnaby Serenade, if that helps).
Never having worked in a mobile home before, just a few general questions for anyone who has had experience of doing electrical installation work in these places.

1. How easy is it to pull cables through the external walls? (Customer would like cables hidden if poss so no surface-mounted trunking if it can be avoided). I'm guessing the main structure is some sort of metal (steel?) framework between the internal laminated hardboard inner surface and the external metal cladding. Is this framework likely to have slots or perforations in it to allow me to pull cables through? (Can't see how I could support cables though?) I'm thinking of putting the cables in and running them vertically up/down and then horizontally under the floor of the mobile home. Assuming I have to make some additional holes in the internal hardboard skin, what is the best way to repair this afterwards without it looking a complete lash-up. Obviously there's no practical way of completely matching the internal laminated-type finish. Any ideas please? (Makes 'normal' make-good plastering look easy now).

2. Similar question to the one above but for the internal walls of the mobile home...do they have timber studwork inside the walls or is it some sort of metal framing to hold up the hardboard facing?

3. Presumably the thin metal cladding will take/support self tappers to fix the outside light?

Any other general advice about working in these mobile homes would be appreciated. To be honest I'm a bit nervous about it all as it seems to me that if you turn round quickly with your elbow sticking, you'll make a hole in the wall and I don't want to wreck the place. I suspect this job may well lead to more work on this site...assuming I make a decent job of it.

Thanks for any advice.

I think you'd have an awful lot of hassle trying to fish cables through the walls, the thin cavity is bound to be full of insulating material for one thing. I'd go for very neat surface trunking for the work you describe but running cables underneath where helpful would be fine, they'd need some support though.

I did a stint of wiring these things during the recession.

They start off with pre-wallpapered ply panels on timber frames. Holes are drilled in the tops of the frames above the sockets and switches, then the ply ceiling hoisted on and holes bashed through to the walls using a pair of sidecutters or whatever. Cable is thrown in over the ceiling and pulled through the pre-cut holes for the sockets and switches. Insulation blocks are put over the outside of the ply and the exterior walls and ceiling cladded.

Those things really aren't built for altering, or even rewiring; if you want the wires concealed in the bulkheads you're looking at dismantling the walls from the outside and maybe lifting the roof off.

Hi,it's one socket,and one outside light,so not that tricky.

You will be able to "arrange" that the customer wants that socket,close enough to a fixture,cupboard or similar,where the cable(s) can be hidden. Check the way in which the other sockets are wired,and what MCB feeds them,and work accordingly.

Worst case,go downwards,short internal or trunking,out underfloor,and across to DB position. Remember,you are not tied to using t&e,so choose an appropriate cable.

Outside lamp is straightforward if flush or close-mounted,skin will support easily,just use correct screws or rivets,NOT steel.

Most of these have an outside lamp,at each door position,so is this the case? Lots of fitted kit,at head-height,so better chance of hiding any additional wiring,if needed.

Choose equipment accordingly,think routes and possible hidden surprises.

Also,do not assume you are the first to quote...they may have had a few "single visits" :)

I worked at touring caravan factory many years ago, and all the 230v equipment was wired in 1.5mm2 3 core flex.

Switch gear may be in an OMB position or directly behind an OMB position in a cupboard. Look to see how mobile home is fed. It may well be fed from switch gear near the home i.e. in the garden or even neighbours garden. Might be a SWA cable entering the mobile home in ducting which you might be able to use. Do not use a DNO cable duct.

Reply to Mobile Homes - routing cables etc in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net