Discuss Mold cleaner spilled on an outlet do I get help ASAP or let it dry? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was cleaning some mold off my bedroom walls with CLR Bleach-Free Foaming Action Mold and Mildew Stain Remover (Biodegradable septic safe. Removes tough mould and mildew stains from tile, hardwood floors, and more) when some of the foamy cleaning liquid flowed down the wall and reached a power outlet with one of my surge protected power bars still attached. I tried to wipe it dry, but I recieved a slight jolt. So I pulled the power bar plug out first to continue wiping the outlet dry and it made me wonder... what will the effects of this mold cleaner be on a power outlet? Like... does it increase the risk of an electric fire? Should I seek an electrician ASAP or just relax?

Here's what's in this particular CLR mold cleaner: lauramine oxide, alcohols, C9-11, ethoxylated, tripropylene glycol n-butyl ether and sodium lactate.

Once it's dried out for a couple of days it should be fine, give it a wipe over with a very damp cloth to remove any residue that might stain the plastic.

When I'm called out to things (coffee usually) spilled in sockets incidents I back the socket away from the wall to check for standing fluids then I use a spay duster can to blow off all the rear terminals and the socket holes.

In all honesty this is mostly for show, to be seen to be doing something as I've been called out, invariably by the time I get there any fluids have drained/dried already and its just a case of resetting the RCBO.

This is when the RCD/RCBO has tripped, are your sockets RCD/RCBO protected or are they on a fuse or MCB?

I'd be a more concerned if the latter as the circuit could stay energised even with significant leakage caused but the moisture.

I was cleaning some mold off my bedroom walls with CLR Bleach-Free Foaming Action Mold and Mildew Stain Remover (Biodegradable septic safe. Removes tough mould and mildew stains from tile, hardwood floors, and more) when some of the foamy cleaning liquid flowed down the wall and reached a power outlet with one of my surge protected power bars still attached. I tried to wipe it dry, but I recieved a slight jolt. So I pulled the power bar plug out first to continue wiping the outlet dry and it made me wonder... what will the effects of this mold cleaner be on a power outlet? Like... does it increase the risk of an electric fire? Should I seek an electrician ASAP or just relax?

Here's what's in this particular CLR mold cleaner: lauramine oxide, alcohols, C9-11, ethoxylated, tripropylene glycol n-butyl ether and sodium lactate.
It would be best if you replaced the receptacle. We don’t know if the cleaning fluid is a conductor of electricity or not so why take that chance.

Or corrosive where fairly reactive metals are concerned.
That's "biodegradable, septic safe" mould remover. It's not even going to attack he mould it's meant for let alone any components of the socket.

Unless it's strongly acidic (theres nothing in the ingredients to suggest it is) it's not going to go for the metals in the time its actually wetted, similarly with the alcohols which aren't strong enough solvents to go for the plastics in the contact time.

(You do have to be careful with Aluminium and basic cleaning solutions as base will dissolve Aluminium.)

I get suggesting a replacement, as it's the safest answer to suggest, but realistically this socket will be fine when dry.

If it was mine it would be getting blown dry and re-energised.

That's "biodegradable, septic safe" mould remover. It's not even going to attack he mould it's meant for let alone any components of the socket.

Unless it's strongly acidic (theres nothing in the ingredients to suggest it is) it's not going to go for the metals in the time its actually wetted, similarly with the alcohols which aren't strong enough solvents to go for the plastics in the contact time.

(You do have to be careful with Aluminium and basic cleaning solutions as base will dissolve Aluminium.)

I get suggesting a replacement, as it's the safest answer to suggest, but realistically this socket will be fine when dry.

If it was mine it would be getting blown dry and re-energised.

Yeah, I hadn't read through the list of ingredients and assumed it was an actual mould cleaner based on either bleach or chlorine.

It's just a small 9mm casing-sized amount of the cleaner that flowed onto the power bar plug and touched the right prong. I managed to pull it out quick and dry off the outside with a paper towel without getting jolted a second time. But that's all that got onto the outlet from the outside. It isn't as big as a coffee cup-sized spill like you mentioned, GBDamo.

Reply to Mold cleaner spilled on an outlet do I get help ASAP or let it dry? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock